[comp.windows.x] using X11.4 clients with a X11.3 server

mike@ap542.uucp (Mike Hoffmann) (09/06/90)

Hi!

Not being in the know of the X-protocol niceties, I post this question
even though it may sound dumb.

I have just received a X-terminal equiped with a Release 3 server.
Also I have heaps of sources for R3 and R4. So far so good.
Unfortunatly The libraries that go with the host are still R2!
So the logical thing to do is to port the libs and clients for a higher
release version.

Only I can't seem to get the R3 sources anymore, only R4.
What will happen if manage to get libs and clients compiled and running
and then try to run them on my X-terminal?

Worst case would be "it won't run at all", of course, best case if I'm lucky
that at least *most* of the stuff would run.

Any hints?

Thanks
Mike

Mike Hoffmann, SIEMENS AG, Dept DI AP 542 | The surest sign of intelligent life
UUCP: mike@ap542.UUCP                     | in the Universe is, that is hasn't
INTERNET:mike%ap542@ztivax.siemens.com    | tried to contact us. (Calvin)

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (09/07/90)

There were no protocol changes between R4 and R3.  And R3 already had decent
font naming support.  So the answer is that R4 stuff should work with an R3
server just fine.

Jim Gettys
Digital Equipment Corporation
Cambridge Research Laboratory

klute@heike.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Rainer Klute) (09/07/90)

In article <924@ap542.uucp>, mike@ap542.uucp (Mike Hoffmann) writes:
|> Only I can't seem to get the R3 sources anymore, only R4.
|> What will happen if manage to get libs and clients compiled and running
|> and then try to run them on my X-terminal?
|>
|> Worst case would be "it won't run at all", of course, best case if I'm lucky
|> that at least *most* of the stuff would run.

You are on the lucky side: most of the stuff will run. The only thing that
will not run are non-rectangular windows - you will get rectangular ones
instead.

--
  Dipl.-Inform. Rainer Klute      klute@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB             klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (09/09/90)

> I have just received a X-terminal equiped with a Release 3 server.
> [...wants to use R4 library and client sources...]
> What will happen if manage to get libs and clients compiled and
> running and then try to run them on my X-terminal?

You're in luck.  An R3 server should interoperate just fine with R4
clients.  Of course, unless it's a rather unusual R3 server, you won't
have things like nonrectangular windows that came out in R4, but that's
entirely unavoidable, and R4 clients generally degrade gracefully in
the presence of an R3 server[%].  You likely won't notice any problems
at all.  (Or at least, no more than you would with an R4 server :-)

[%] Of course, it's possible that some client out there will refuse to
    run without the Multi-Buffering extension (say), but such clients
    are, as I understand it, rare.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

wicks@AIS1.BAL.MMC.COM (Anthony B. Wicks) (09/12/90)

   Date: 6 Sep 90 14:36:20 GMT
   From: mcsun!unido!ztivax!ap542!ap542.uucp@uunet.uu.net  (Mike Hoffmann)
   Sender: xpert-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu

   Only I can't seem to get the R3 sources anymore, only R4.
   Mike Hoffmann, SIEMENS AG, Dept DI AP 542 | The surest sign of intelligent life
   UUCP: mike@ap542.UUCP                     | in the Universe is, that is hasn't
   INTERNET:mike%ap542@ztivax.siemens.com    | tried to contact us. (Calvin)

Mike,

	In the recently mail "Frequently Asked Questions" there was a list
of places that have X11R3 sources.  If you already deleted this message or
haven't gotten this yet, let me know and I'll forward it to you.

Staff Engineer, Martin Marietta Aero & Naval Systems, Software Department
Local MMA&NS Email: wicks@mst1.bal -- 301-682-2883 (Desk) 301-682-0975 (Lab)
          INTERNET: wicks@mst1.bal.mmc.com -or- wicks@umbc3.umbc.edu