[comp.windows.x] Why do so many "great" people dislike X?

ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (09/04/90)

Bill Joy
Dennis Ritchie
Steven Jobs

	some of the people I respect the best in the whole wide
	world; all think X is brain-dead.  Do you have any ideas on
	why?  Did the wide acceptance of X have a lot to do with
	the urgent need to kill NeWS quickly on the part of
	DEC/HP/IBM (basically, did X rise to prominence for
	political rather than technical reasons)?

Who're the people who did X anyway?  I never heard any names
apart from the keyword 'MIT'.

Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (09/04/90)

> Bill Joy
> Dennis Ritchie
> Steven Jobs

> some of the people I respect the best in the whole wide world; all
> think X is brain-dead.  Do you have any ideas on why?

Yes and no.  I don't know why they think what they think, no.  But I
agree, X has problems.  It's just that I've not seen anything better.
To paraphrase who was it, Churchill I think, X is the worst window
system in the world, except for all the others.

> Did the wide acceptance of X have a lot to do with the urgent need to
> kill NeWS quickly on the part of DEC/HP/IBM (basically, did X rise to
> prominence for political rather than technical reasons)?

I don't know.  I like to think that in large part it was due to its
being freely available to all; that's certainly a big reason we're
using it here.

> Who're the people who did X anyway?  I never heard any names apart
> from the keyword 'MIT'.

From the LABEL file on the R4 tape,

         X Window System, Version 11
                  Release 4

            contents copyrighted by

     Massachusetts Institute of Technology
	      Adobe Systems, Inc.
	     Apollo Computer Inc.
	     Apple Computer, Inc.
		  AT&T, Inc.
		  Don Bennett
	       Bigelow & Holmes
		Bitstream, Inc.
		 Adam de Boor
		Cognition Corp.
	 Digital Equipment Corporation
    Evans & Sutherland Computer Corporation
		   Franz Inc
	    Hewlett-Packard Company
		IBM Corporation
	Network Computing Devices, Inc.
	 O'Reilly and Associates, Inc.
		Dale Schumacher
		Marvin Solomon
		  Sony Corp.
		      SRI
	    Sun Microsystems, Inc.
		Tektronix, Inc.
	Texas Instruments Incorporated
		UniSoft Systems
  The Regents of the University of California
	    University of Wisconsin
		  Larry Wall
	     Wyse Technology, Inc.

The LABEL.CONTRIB file is much longer and I won't bother including the
whole thing here, but it's as widely varied....

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

jim@ncd.COM (Jim Fulton) (09/04/90)

	Who're the people who did X anyway?  I never heard any names
	apart from the keyword 'MIT'.

The introduction to the DP book X Window System: C Library and Protocol
Reference by Gettys, Scheifler, and Newman contains a good introduction
to the history of and principles behind the design of X.

jimf@SABER.COM (09/04/90)

|	some of the people I respect the best in the whole wide
|	world; all think X is brain-dead.  Do you have any ideas on
|	why?

`Brain-dead' wouldn't be my word but some areas of its rendering model
are rather naive (although most are better than the Suntools/SunView
model).

It's worst failing is probably its dependency on the pixel as the base
unit.  This makes it very difficult to move between monitors of
differing aspect ratios or densities (ie not everything is a Sun).
Some other portions of its design make it very difficult to write
graphics-intensive applications, particularly those applications which
deal with shapes as objects with some attributes (the X polygon
rendering model describes two different shapes if filled versus
unfilled, for instance).  Lastly, the window manager concept makes
implementation and documentation of complex programs much more
difficult than it needs to be.  Before ICCCM it was nearly impossible.

It is unfortunate that the X designers didn't look more closely at
existing environments before implementing X, but even as-is X is a
workable system which is improving.  The extension mechanism will aid
in this process.

On the up side, X proved that a networked window system can work
pretty well (NeWS failed in that respect although it is a better
system), and helped establish an industry standard that was badly
needed.  When it comes right down to it I'd rather have a naive system
that's consistent across most machines than a fantastic one that
exists on only one, at least from a marketing point of view.

Happy hacking,

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

jim@ncd.COM (Jim Fulton) (09/04/90)

    Jim Fulton says that X's worst failing is probably its dependency on the
    pixel as the base unit.

Nope, that was someone else.  I mentioned the introduction to Jim, Bob, and
Ron's book.

gjc@mitech.com (09/05/90)

In article <11813@chaph.usc.edu>, ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) writes:
> 	some of the people I respect the best in the whole wide
> 	world; all think X is brain-dead.  Do you have any ideas on
> 	why?
> Bill Joy
crashme 100 10 200
(see comp.lang.c in sun os 4.0.3 *or* 4.1)
> Dennis Ritchie
Quite possibly the 'MIT' keyword is the main problem here.
X: Sun of Multics?
> Steven Jobs
Quite possibly a confusion of underlying system structure issues
with issues of user interface and applications generation tools.
Maybe somebody should ask him if he saw to it that the MAC O/S
made the same 24-bit address fiasco that the IBM 360 did, in order
that NeXT or others might have a fighting chance.

-gjc

kent@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) (09/05/90)

Don't overlook the fact that two of the three people mentioned (Jobs and
Joy) have or had a commercial interest in seeing X fail.

Jim Fulton says that X's worst failing is probably its dependency on the
pixel as the base unit. I'd be tempted to agree, and this is one of the
reasons we've worked so hard on the Display PostScript extension. Not
only does it remove the need for client programs to worry about pixel
densities, it also allows client programs not to worry about what
strange variant of color hardware exists on the server.

Chris Kent	Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
kent@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!kent			(415) 853-6639

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (09/05/90)

And the third (Dennis Richie) watched AT+T take so long with the BLIT
that the great advance over the state of the art elsewhere it represented
was lost, and never went anywhere.  Sigh...  To give you an idea of where
things were, the BLIT was roughly equivalent to an X terminal in many respects
(but not in others, as it did not provide network transparent access to
applications on other machines) and was working several years before we
started
working on X.

Of course, some of us believe that at today's and tomorrow's screen resolutions
every pixel is critical.  PostScript does great at 300 DPI; unfortunately,
most screens are between 75 DPI and 100 DPI.  I'd love it had screens been
high enough resolution to take that point of view, but reality is somewhat
otherwise, unfortunately.  And bandwidth (more or less directly related to
cost) goes as the square of the resolution.  PostScript by itself is
insufficient for many imaging and CAD applications on even the fastest
of today's
hardware, something I (who used to get paid to write image processing software)
am quite sensitive to.
				- Jim

frose@synoptics.COM (Flavio Rose) (09/05/90)

This message is empty.

raveling@unify.com (Paul Raveling) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Sep4.202433.19653@wrl.dec.com>, kent@gilroy.pa.dec.com
(Christopher A. Kent) writes:

> Jim Fulton says that X's worst failing is probably its dependency on
the
> pixel as the base unit. I'd be tempted to agree, ...

	For a different perspective, my view of X's biggest problem
	is its complexity, most of which follows from the basic
	design goal of making it policy-free.

	I believe the ideal window system would use a fair bit more
	encapsulation of policy to keep the client interfaces clean,
	while still providing adequate handles to override important
	aspects of default policy.

	A particular stumbling block is implementing policy through
	a separate window manager process, which adds some heavy burdens
	in communication and synchronization among client processes,
	the display server, and the window manager.  I think a better
	way to do this is to make policy arbitration a central
	module within the main display server process, more like a
	ddx component than a client program.

------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@unify.com

gjc@mitech.com (09/05/90)

In article <1990Sep4.203701.18657@crl.dec.com>, jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:
> ...  To give you an idea of where
> things were, the BLIT was roughly equivalent to an X terminal in many respects
> (but not in others, as it did not provide network transparent access to
> applications on other machines) and was working several years before we
> started working on X.

Was that before or after the availability of the BBN BITGRAPH? I had a BBN
bitgraph at the MIT AI LAB around 1982, and was working on a LISP interface
(from VAX-NIL). At the time LISP people at MIT were generally convinced that
a graphics/window environment HAD to be in a VIRTUAL-MEMORY-MAPPED graphics
buffer (like the Lispmachine). Some other LCS VAX hold-outs were putting their
money/time into the VS-100 unibus/fiber-optic thing, but I figured that
at 19.2KB using clever encodings a serial-line graphics terminal could
do quite well keeping up with anything a VAX-750 could possibly throw at it.

Quite possibly the BBN BITGRAPH was more primitive than the BLIT in its
base software. The thing did support downloadable C code (68xxx using
the circa-1981 MIT Chris-Terman C compiler no doubt) but for some reason
MIT could never get BBN to *license* them the development system.
(Maybe because BBN was at the same time selling it to the US government
for megabucks). Typical story.

-gjc

>> Bill Joy
>crashme 100 10 200
>(see comp.lang.c in sun os 4.0.3 *or* 4.1)

What does that have to do with anything?  There are a number of machines
(both RISC and CISC) that said program crashes; its existence hardly
serves as any sort of useful response to any of Bill Joy's anti-X
statements.

>> Dennis Ritchie
>Quite possibly the 'MIT' keyword is the main problem here.
>X: Sun of Multics?

Excuse me?  One might as well wonder whether Dennis Ritchie is opposed to
putting cows on the roofs of buildings, as that was an MIT project as
well.  (Not an *official* project, but....)

kent@wsl.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) (09/06/90)

The BBN Bitgraph and BLIT are approximate contemporaries. In fact,
the folks at Bell Labs got their BLIT code running on the Bitgraph,
even though they grumbled a lot because the "bits went the wong way".

Bitgraphs were fun. BBN developed a little window system for them,
(though I don't think it ever made it out of the company), and a few
places went pretty nuts with them. I still remember fondly the Spacee
Invaders and PacMan games we had that ran completely in the terminal,
complete with accurate sound effects...

--
Chris Kent	Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
kent@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!kent			(415) 853-6639

wds@uarthur.UUCP (William D. Sheppard) (09/06/90)

I have a question for thos who dislike X:

	What have they developed thats better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree that X windows is not a perfect piece of software engineering, but its the
best we currently have available that will work on almost any hardware. It is always
much easier to be a critic  than it is to produce something thats better.

My hat is off to those at MIT that have produced a usable window environment! It may not
be perfect, but can you claim that the code that you write is?

Bill Sheppard
Consultant
World Bank, Washington DC

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (09/07/90)

wds@uarthur.UUCP (William D. Sheppard) writes:
>I have a question for thos who dislike X:
>	What have they developed thats better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, in this case, each of the three would claim their window system
was "better".  More specifically,

1. Do you have an alternative window system?

2. What do I have to do to get a working set of binaries for my system?

3. What hardware will I need to run it on?
3a. How easy would it be for me to port it to my nonstandard machine?

4. Does it support colour properly?
4a. Does it have a functional terminal emulator (emulating some
popular or standard terminal) with cut and paste?
4b. Is it possible to write programs that are portable across different
architectures, especially architectures with different byte/bit order?

5. What sort of support can I get and how much does it cost?

The answers to these questions often determine the fate of a window
system far more than its "pure technical" merits.  Having it not crash
you is probably a desirable feature.

	Mark.
PS:  People might observe that some of these questions could be asked about
a lot of software, not just window systems.

jcb@frisbee.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (09/07/90)

   (Christopher A. Kent) writes:

   > Jim Fulton says that X's worst failing is probably its dependency on the
     ^^^^^^^^^^ Jim Frost of Saber.

   > pixel as the base unit. I'd be tempted to agree, ...

   	For a different perspective, my view of X's biggest problem
   	is its complexity, most of which follows from the basic
   	design goal of making it policy-free.

   	I believe the ideal window system would use a fair bit more
   	encapsulation of policy to keep the client interfaces clean,
   	while still providing adequate handles to override important
   	aspects of default policy.

I strongly agree. This is where the direction of X after the  creation
of the Xlib layer appears, IMHO,  to  have  gone  astray.  Instead  of
encapsulation of functionality, and introduction of solutions from the
top down to the bottom, the Xt based stream of  additional  complexity
was intertwined with that defined by Xlib to further multiply the base
knowledgeset necessary to utilize the X Window System.

In simple english, instead of making it easier to approach from a high
level  viewpoint, we now have more dribbling lowlevel functionality in
the Xt Intrinsics and toolkit land before  getting  a  real  interface
put together.

The  complexity  of Xlib itself isn't really difficult, although there
could  be  simple improvements (IMHO).  Where things broke down is not
taking a higher view of the interface creation  process  and  building
systems which generate and manage the interface at a meta  level.  The
addition  of  Xt seems like adding macros to assembly, metaphorically,
rather than building high level  structured  languages  and  interface
generators.

Building from this base simply has created  a  really  tough  learning
curve, compared to providing systems at the  level  of  HyperTalk  and
4GLs.  There is simply too much  the  application  programmer  has  to
understand to get to first base.   This  level  of  detail  should  be
handled  by  the  `User  Interface  System'  as  a  whole, with little
application programmatic overhead.

Considering we have some of the brightest minds out there making these
strategic decisions, I'm really surprised this is the current situation.

   	A particular stumbling block is implementing policy through
   	a separate window manager process, which adds some heavy burdens
   	in communication and synchronization among client processes,
   	the display server, and the window manager.  I think a better
   	way to do this is to make policy arbitration a central
   	module within the main display server process, more like a
   	ddx component than a client program.

I strongly agree. What is needed is  a  higher  level  User  Interface
System/Server than handles everything. The  separate  window  manager,
and  the  `each  application uses it's version of a toolkit' strategy,
makes  things  a  lot tougher in terms of user environment consistency
and interaction.  With a central server  mechanism,  issues  currently
handled inconsistently by the toolkits and window manager would become
moot points. Additionally Internationalization would be consistent and
easier, as well as user defaults and color management.

To me it isn't any surprise that the existing systems in use by  large
numbers  of  end  users are the Mac and Windows 3.0.  Although I don't
program either, both systems seem to have  higher  level  interactions
between  the user and the applications in manner of environment.  X is
dealing at granular levels, fighting upward. The solutions  out  there
for  the masses give the end user a top-down approach, and therefore a
more   warm  fuzzy  feeling  of  security.   They  are  consistent  in
appearance, and plug/play correctly. And are easy to setup and modify.
It would be nice if that was more the norm in the X world.

There is no reason that X could have not gone  on  this  path  in  the
past.  [In fact I have developed a system with this philosophy on  X.]
However, with the combination of the  current  standards  process  and
legal concerns (LAF), there are ramifications on pure originality  and
creativity for other potential solutions. It  seems  there  is  little
room to break from the current defined alternatives, and the community
has to work within them.  Hopefully there will be lessons learned from
the premature introduction of standards in the creative  process.  And
hopefully the end result of ongoing  legal  battles  in  the  computer
world  will  not  function to extinguish the innovative flame that has
been kept alight by bright ideas and hard work. Hopefully.

	    (it didn't look like a soapbox when I got on!)

   ------------------
   Paul Raveling
   Raveling@unify.com

-Jim Becker

     [Obviously my own opinions, not those of Sun Microsystems.]

--
	 Jim Becker / jcb%frisbee@sun.com  / Sun Microsystems

seg@barney.mitre.org (Scott E. Gordon) (09/07/90)

	As someone who is going to be moving to an 'X' environment
	for reasons of image processing, I am *really* worried about
	the imaging functions in X.  I have heard very bad things about
	these functions.  Well, actually, I just heard that they were
	really bad, but was not really told the reasons.  Can anyone
	expound on their experiences?

	Also, there is a question (keeping in mind we know very little
	about X right now) about whether software written in X will
	work for any X peripheral.  If we have 2 different display
	boards for example, do we have to have 2 different versions
	of the software, or do the boards deal with the imaging calls and
	(hopefully) are transparent to the user?

			Thanx for your support

--
Scott E. Gordon                             INTERNET : seg@hoppi.mitre.org
MITRE Image Processing Research Laboratory    USENET : linus!hoppi!seg

fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (09/08/90)

>I have a question for thos who dislike X:
>
>        What have they developed thats better!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>I have to agree that X windows is not a perfect piece of software engineering, but its the
>best we currently have available that will work on almost any hardware. It is always
>much easier to be a critic  than it is to produce something thats better.
>
>My hat is off to those at MIT that have produced a usable window environment! It may not
>be perfect, but can you claim that the code that you write is?

Bill,
	The guys at MIT are doing a fantastic, if not unbelievable, job with X.
	No one, I believe, is criticizing their efforts.  I think people are
	criticizing the X design philosophy, which anyone is entitled to do.
	...heck, criticism happens every microsecond in every newsgroup on the net! ;->

	As far as "better" (he says with a sly objective look on his face),
	have you looked at NeWS?  Its available on almost as many
	platforms as X and is much more programmable (the server, that is) than X,
	and can inherently handle Postscript (ie., its *not* an extension).

	I might also add that one of Dennis Ritchie's colleagues, Rob Pike, who also
	dislikes X Window, (I'm paraphrasing here, but Rob was quoted as saying X was
	baroque and overly complicated) has invented some fundamental graphics algorithms
	that are used in practically all modern window systems and has developed
	several interesting window systems within AT&T Bell Labs.

	Please...I'm not trying to start window flames, but aren't we science folk supposed
	to question and criticize and opinionize?  That's the nature of research.

Frank G.

razdan@phx.mcd.mot.com (anshuman razdan) (09/08/90)

In article <119376@linus.mitre.org> seg@barney.mitre.org (Scott E. Gordon) writes:

	   Also, there is a question (keeping in mind we know very little
	   about X right now) about whether software written in X will
	   work for any X peripheral.  If we have 2 different display
	   boards for example, do we have to have 2 different versions
	   of the software, or do the boards deal with the imaging calls and
	   (hopefully) are transparent to the user?

Not qualified to answer your first question.

As for the second question. If the display boards( I think what
you mean as in two X display servers) are "true" i.e. confirm to the
X11RZ (Z= 3 or 4) protocol the software should not have any
problem displaying.  I recommend X Protocol Reference
Manual for version 11 by Robert W. Scheifler (O'Reilly and Assoc)
to resolve doubts.  I am not sure if I answered your question.

--

Anshuman Razdan

* razdan@toy			Test and Methodology Group *
*							   *
* razdan@phx.mcd.mot.com	Diablo Plant, Tempe  Az    *

cflatter@ZIA.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) (09/08/90)

Scott Gordon writes:

>	As someone who is going to be moving to an 'X' environment
>	for reasons of image processing, I am *really* worried about
>	the imaging functions in X.  I have heard very bad things about
>	these functions.  Well, actually, I just heard that they were
>	really bad, but was not really told the reasons.  Can anyone
>	expound on their experiences?

When people talk about X lacking an "imaging model" they seem to be
referring to the fact that the Xlib primitives are pixel based and not
based on some display independent coordinate system.  I would rate this
as building mountains over molehills: if you want to draw in centimeters
or inches you can add another layer on top of Xlib (the necessary
information -- the pixel spacing in real coordinates -- is easily
available).  Of course, for an image processing application pixel access
is probably exactly what you need.

Xlib has a rich set of primitives for drawing and image display.  Its main
disadvantages for image processing are that you have to pan and zoom in
software if this is required.

>	Also, there is a question (keeping in mind we know very little
>	about X right now) about whether software written in X will
>	work for any X peripheral.  If we have 2 different display
>	boards for example, do we have to have 2 different versions
>	of the software, or do the boards deal with the imaging calls and
>	(hopefully) are transparent to the user?

You only need a different version of the X server for each board.  X
applications talk to the server using the X protocol and the server
translates their requests into the imaging calls suitable (and hopefully
optimised) for the board in question.  However, if you have a wide variety
of displays you might have to have alternate code branches for different
display types since devices with 24-bit "true colour" displays may need to
be treated differently from 8-bit pseudocolour displays if you are
displaying images (there are other distinctions between display types but
this is the most painful).  Take a look at Adrian Nye's "Xlib Programming
Manual" (Vol. 1 in O'Reilly's X Window System series).

			Chris Flatters

mouse@SHAMASH.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (der Mouse) (09/09/90)

>> A particular stumbling block is implementing policy through a
>> separate window manager process, which adds some heavy burdens in
>> communication and synchronization among client processes, the
>> display server, and the window manager.  I think a better way to do
>> this is to make policy arbitration a central module within the main
>> display server process, more like a ddx component than a client
>> program.

> I strongly agree.  What is needed is a higher level User Interface
> System/Server than handles everything.

The major problem with this is lack of configurability.  I certainly
wouldn't be using X right now if it mandated someone else's idea of a
nice interface by building the window manager into the server, as you
seem to be advocating.  (I have never, ever, seen a UI policy ("window
manager") I could stand to use for long, except for ones I've
implemented myself.  I daresay this extreme a reaction is rare, but
there are doubtless plenty of people who are happy with none of the
available UI styles but find them tolerable and merely grumble.)

> To me it isn't any surprise that the existing systems in use by large
> numbers of end users are the Mac and Windows 3.0.  [...]  The
> solutions out there for the masses give the end user a top-down
> approach, and therefore a more warm fuzzy feeling of security.

What do you want X to be?  Would you rather it be popular, or useful?
(Okay, so that's a loaded question. :-)

If you prefer, think of X as a framework for building window systems
(with none currently built).  It would not be infeasible to build an
interface with a Macish L&F on X; certain setups of twm I've seen in
use come close already.  The real advantage of X is that *the user
isn't locked in* to the Finder, or PM, or whatever style of interaction
happened to be all the rage that week.

> They are consistent in appearance, and plug/play correctly.

This is not impossible under X.  If you restrict yourself to Motif
clients, they will all be consistent and will interoperate nicely;
likewise if you stick to OL[%].  The problems start when you try to
mix-and-match; the reason this isn't seen in the Mac world (for
example) is that it's *impossible* to mix-and-match there.

[%] I assume.  I have used neither Motif nor OL enough to know whether
    this is actually true.  But if it's not, they're certainly being
    overblown on the net.

> And are easy to setup and modify.

Ha hahaha!  My first reaction when I saw a Mac screen was "how do I get
it out of reverse video?".  As far as I can tell, even that fundamental
configuration is impossible.  (Or rather, it is impossible with the
Apple-supplied tools.  Having seen Stepping Out, it is obvious it would
be possible to do.  But I have never even heard of its being done, and
feel quite certain it is not supported, and likely even would require
using undocumented interfaces.)

My second request would be to get rid of the title bars.  Right, that's
not easy either.

Run that by me again about how it's easy to set up and modify?

(Windows 3.0, whatever that is, I have had no experience with, except
perhaps seeing it in use once without knowing what I was looking at.)

> It would be nice if that was more the norm in the X world.

Under X, on the other hand, getting things out of reverse video verges
on the trivial[$].  Getting rid of the title bars involved a few days'
programming, with a set of tools[#] that's reasonably well documented.

[$] mit/clients/bitmap is an exception; that's part of the reason I
    never use it.  Fortunately such clients are almost universally
    considered defective.

[#] I'd say `toolkit', but when discussing X, that's a technical term
    whose meaning does not apply here.

> There is no reason that X could have not gone on this path in the
> past.  [In fact I have developed a system with this philosophy on X.]

You said it yourself.  As I said above, if "window system" implies a
mandated consistent L&F, then X is a framework for building window
systems.

Tools not rules - and if you want to implement rules, be our guest.

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (09/10/90)

In article <9009071813.AA04208@islanders.> fgreco@govt.shearson.COM
(Frank Greco) writes:

| Bill,
| 	The guys at MIT are doing a fantastic, if not unbelievable, job with X.
| 	No one, I believe, is criticizing their efforts.  I think people are
| 	criticizing the X design philosophy, which anyone is entitled to do.
| 	...heck, criticism happens every microsecond in every newsgroup on the net! ;->
|
| 	As far as "better" (he says with a sly objective look on his face),
| 	have you looked at NeWS?  Its available on almost as many
| 	platforms as X and is much more programmable (the server, that is) than X,
| 	and can inherently handle Postscript (ie., its *not* an extension).

As a user I looked at NeWS 1.1 (I think that was the revision),
running on a sun3/50.  Within a week I was no longer running it.  The
terminal emulators were the big reason why I dropped NeWS.  I couldn't
get adequate performance out of the terminal emulators, and they
seemed buggy as all get out.  Since I primarily do text type things
(such as compiler support), it didn't matter one whit whether it was
easier to do complex graphics with the system -- if it doesn't do the
basic tasks, it is useless as a window system.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Do apple growers tell their kids money doesn't grow on bushes?

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (09/10/90)

In article <9009071813.AA04208@islanderc.> fgreco@govt.shearson.COM
(Frank Greco) writes:

| Bill,
| 	The guys at MIT are doing a fantastic, if not unbelievable, job with X.
| 	No one, I believe, is cbiticizing their efforts.  I think people are
| 	criticizing the X design philosophy, which anyone is entitled to do.
| 	...heck, criticism happens every microsecond in every newsgroup on the net! ;->
|
| 	As far as "better" (he says with a sly objective look on his face),
| 	have you looked at NeWS?  Its available on almost as many
| 	platforms as X and is much more programmable (the server, that is) than X,
| 	and can inherently handle Postscript (ie., its *not* an extension).

As a user I looked at NeGS 1.1 (I think that was the revision),
running on a sun3/50.  Within a week I was no longer running it.  The
terminal emulators were the big reason why I dropped NeWS.  I couldn't
get adequate performance out of the terminal emulators, and they
seemed buggy as all get out.  Since I primarily do text type things
(such as compiler support), it didn't matter one whit whether it was
easier to do complex graphics with the system -- if it doesn't do the
basic tasks, it is useless as a window system.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		`hone: 617-621-8861

Do apple growers tell their kids money doesn't grow on bushes?

fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (09/11/90)

>As a user I looked at NeWS 1.1 (I think that was the revision),
>running on a sun3/50.  Within a week I was no longer running it.  The
              ^^^^^^^
>terminal emulators were the big reason why I dropped NeWS.  I couldn't
>get adequate performance out of the terminal emulators, and they
>seemed buggy as all get out.  Since I primarily do text type things
>(such as compiler support), it didn't matter one whit whether it was
>easier to do complex graphics with the system -- if it doesn't do the
>basic tasks, it is useless as a window system.
>--
>Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
>Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA, 02142

	Michael,

	I wouldn't expect much gas out of 3/50.  Gees, its only a 2 MIP machine,
	going downhill with the wind at its back.

	The first few (alpha, beta and FCS) versions of NeWS did not include a very
	good terminal emulator.  It was a long time problem getting Sun to produce a
	usable terminal emulator (psterm, the Postscript terminal emulator written by
	Steve Isaacs, was never intended to be production quality.  I'm not making
	excuses for Sun, but either a decent terminal emulator should have been written,
	or Sun should have released psterm under a "UnderConstruction" directory).
	There are several decent ones in the public domain that you could
	scarf up on the net (or from the latest Sun User Group tape).
	OW 2.0 does include a new and improved psterm, but more importantly, you could
	use good 'ole xterm, since OW 2.0 uses a merged X and NeWS server.

	This is what I do.

	Frank G.	fgreco@shearson.com
	...my opinions are mine, of course...

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (09/11/90)

     I know that many people are initially discouraged from using X by the
massive learning curve hit you take trying to use it.  I would love to see
cleaner interfaces to low level functions to make X easier to understand
for neophytes.  I understand the creeping featurism that evolves in a
system whose motto is

		X: Tools, not Rules

Therefore, might I suggest a better one?  To whit:

		X: Confusion, not Collusion

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (09/11/90)

> As someone who is going to be moving to an 'X' environment for
> reasons of image processing, I am *really* worried about the imaging
> functions in X.  I have heard very bad things about these functions.
> Well, actually, I just heard that they were really bad, but was not
> really told the reasons.  Can anyone expound on their experiences?

I find them reasonable.  Whether you will or not depends on what you
expect of them.

The X support is primarily for displaying images; there is nothing,
really, for image processing or anything of the sort.  (Even the
display functions are not terribly well documented, something I hope
will be remedied...I'll drop a note to xbugs.)

> Also, there is a question (keeping in mind we know very little about
> X right now) about whether software written in X will work for any X
> peripheral.  If we have 2 different display boards for example, do we
> have to have 2 different versions of the software, or do the boards
> deal with the imaging calls and (hopefully) are transparent to the
> user?

Yes and no.  There are three levels here: the client (application)
program, the X server, and the hardware.  The server usually needs to
be different for different hardware, but the clients (except in very
special and unusual circumstances) need no work when moving from one
hardware-plus-server combination to another.  (Given that the client
was written with at least minimal attention given to portability.
Assuming a 256-entry PseudoColor visual, to pick one plausible example,
is the sort of thing that might be done by an author who's not being
careful.)

tmb@ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) (09/12/90)

Gordon) writes:
|> 	As someone who is going to be moving to an 'X' environment
|> 	for reasons of image processing, I am *really* worried about
|> 	the imaging functions in X.  I have heard very bad things about
|> 	these functions.  Well, actually, I just heard that they were
|> 	really bad, but was not really told the reasons.  Can anyone
|> 	expound on their experiences?

I'm not sure what you mean by "imaging functions". X lets you put up
arbitrary sets of pixels on your display, and gives you access to
colormaps,
etc. Unless you use the memory-map extensions, there is a
non-negligible
overhead associated with such operations, but even performance
over an ethernet is good enough for most applications. Finally, X also
has extensions for doing animation via multibuffering.

|> 	Also, there is a question (keeping in mind we know very little
|> 	about X right now) about whether software written in X will
|> 	work for any X peripheral.  If we have 2 different display
|> 	boards for example, do we have to have 2 different versions
|> 	of the software, or do the boards deal with the imaging calls and
|> 	(hopefully) are transparent to the user?

X windows classifies display types according to "visuals" (e.g.,
B/W, static color, pseudo color (CLUT)). Depending on your application,
you may have to write code for different visual types, but this is
inherent in the nature of the differences between the displays.
X, in fact, probably does the best job among all windowing systems
of letting you take advantage of most of the capabilities of your
display
hardware in a portable manner.

tmb@ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel) (09/12/90)

In article <!19376@linus.mitre.org>, seg@barney.mitre.org (Ccott E.
Gordon) writes:
|> 	As someone who is go)ng to be moving to an 'X' envib/nment
|> 	for reasons of image `rocessing, I am *really* worried about
|> 	the imaging functionc in X.  I have heard very bad t(ings about
|> 	these functions.  Well, actually, I just heard dhat they were
|> 	really bad, bet was not really told the reasons.  Can anyone
|> 	expound on th%ir experiences?

I'm not sure what you mean by "imaging funcd)ons". X lets you put up
arbitrary sets of pixels on your display, and gives you access to
colob-aps,
etc. Unlecs you use the memory-map extensions, there is a
.on-negligible
overhead associated with such operations, but even performance
over an ethernet is good enough for most applications. Finally, X also
has extensions for doing animation via muldibuffering.

|> 	Also, there is a question (kee`ing in mind we know very little
|> 	about X right now) about whether software written in X will
|> 	work for ani X peripheral.  If we have 2 dif&erent display
|> 	boards for ehample, do we have to have 2 diff%rent versions
|> 	of the software, or do the boards deal with dhe imaging calls and
|> 	(hopefelly) are transparent to the useb/

X windows classifies displai types according to "visuals" (e.g.,
B/W, static color, pseudo color (CLUT)). Depending on your !pplication,
you may have to write code for different visual types, but this is
inherent in the nature of the differences between the displays.
X, in fact, prob!bly does the best job among all windowing systems
of letting yoe take advantage of most of the capabilities of your
display
habdware in a portable manner.