[comp.windows.x] Large cursors

rosenblo@ISI.EDU (Paul Rosenbloom) (08/30/90)

I am a relatively new X user (X11R4 with twm) on a Sun4/280 with a high
resolution screen.  The problem I'm having is that the standard cursors in the
cursor font are much too small for my screen (I waste considerable time
searching for them amid the clutter).  We (ISI) don't seem to have any larger
cursor fonts, so I've tried creating my own (via bitmap).  Though I can fix
the root cursor this way, and the various cursors that twm knows about, I have
been unable to figure out how to change the the cursor used within xterm (and
other) windows -- XTerm*pointerShape appears to only accept the predefined
labels for characters in the cursor font.  So my two-part question is: (1)
does anyone have a larger cursor font that I could ftp over (ours appears to
be about 16x16) and use; or (2) does anyone know how to convince XTerm (and
other applications like gnuemacs) to use a custom cursor?  Thanks. -- Paul
Rosenbloom

mmm@cetia1.cetia.fr (Mark Martin) (09/13/90)

In article <14758@venera.isi.edu> rosenblo@ISI.EDU (Paul Rosenbloom) writes:
> (1) does anyone have a larger cursor font that I could ftp over
> (2) does anyone know how to convince XTerm ... to use a custom cursor?

With more and more pixels to the inch these days, perhaps an R5 wish
could be a redesigned font targetted on 32x32 or even 64x64 pixels?
I regularly use a 64x64 cursor without noticeable degradation in X.

If you have access to the cursor font in bdf format
(fonts/bdf/misc/cursor.bdf in the MIT source tree)
you can use the enclosed filter to double up the size of the font.
Put the resulting file in a directory, run bdftosnf (if you have it)
on the file, run mkfontdir in the directory, and add the directory to your
font search path, eg with xset +fp.
(Whilst testing note the use of xset fp rehash).
I can't offer to ftp you the cursor.bdf file. sorry.
--
Mark M Martin			mmm@cetia.fr
Cetia (BP 244),			inria!cetia!mmm
150 rue Marcelin Berthelot,	tel +33 94 21 20 05 x397
ZI Toulon Est,			fax +33 94 21 84 75
83078 TOULON CEDEX, France
--------
#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive, meaning:
# 1. Remove everything above the #! /bin/sh line.
# 2. Save the resulting text in a file.
# 3. Execute the file with /bin/sh (not csh) to create the files:
#	doublebdffont
# This archive created: Thu Sep 13 13:34:06 FDT 1990
# By: mmm
# Part 1 of 1
PATH=/bin:$PATH export PATH
if test -f 'doublebdffont'
then	echo "shar: will not overwrite existing file doublebdffont"
else	echo "shar: extracting doublebdffont (806 chars)"
	sed 's/^X//' <<\END-OF-FILE! >'doublebdffont'
X: double the size of a bdf font on stdin. mmm
Xawk '
XBEGIN	{
X	s = 2
X	e["0"] = "00"
X	e["1"] = "03"
X	e["2"] = "0c"
X	e["3"] = "0f"
X	e["4"] = "30"
X	e["5"] = "33"
X	e["6"] = "3c"
X	e["7"] = "3f"
X	e["8"] = "c0"
X	e["9"] = "c3"
X	e["a"] = "cc"
X	e["b"] = "cf"
X	e["c"] = "f0"
X	e["d"] = "f3"
X	e["e"] = "fc"
X	e["f"] = "ff"
X	e["A"] = "cc"
X	e["B"] = "cf"
X	e["C"] = "f0"
X	e["D"] = "f3"
X	e["E"] = "fc"
X	e["F"] = "ff"
X	}
XNR==2	{ print "COMMENT was automatically scaled by 2" }
X/^FONTBOUNDINGBOX/||/^FONT_ASCENT/||/^FONT_DESCENT/||/^SWIDTH/||/^DWIDTH/||/^BBX/ {
X	printf "%s",$1
X	for(i=2;i<=NF;i++)printf " %d",$i*s
X	printf "\n"
X	next
X	}
X/^BITMAP/,/^ENDCHAR/{
X	if($1=="BITMAP" || $1=="ENDCHAR"){ print; next }
X	cc = ""
X	for(i=1;i<=length($1);i++){
X		c = substr($1,i,1)
X		cc = cc e[c]
X	}
X	print cc
X	print cc
X	next
X	}
X	{ print }
X'
END-OF-FILE!
	chmod +x doublebdffont
	if test 806 -ne "`wc -c <'doublebdffont'`"
	then	echo "shar: error transmitting doublebdffont (806 characters)"
	fi
fi
echo 'end of shar part 1 of 1'
exit 0