[comp.windows.x] Gcc and Cc

lindholm@greve.ucs.ubc.ca (George Lindholm) (09/13/90)

How do I build the binaries using both Gcc and Cc for my sparc station? The
problem I am seeing is the way that appears to be the difference in the way
that a structure is passed by Gcc and Cc. Is it possible to build SunOS shared
libraries with Gcc? Thanks

lindholm@staff.ucs.ubc.ca  George_Lindholm@mtsg.ubc.ca   USERGNL@UBCMTSG.BITNET
University of British Columbia Computing Services
(604) 228-4375

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (09/13/90)

> How do I build the binaries using both Gcc and Cc for my sparc
> station?

First, there's really not much reason to bother with gcc on SPARC-based
Suns.  At the moment Sun's compiler is, I believe, slightly better.

> The problem I am seeing is the way that appears to be the difference
> in the way that a structure is passed by Gcc and Cc.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that gcc on the SPARC uses an
incompatible passing mechanism for structures, and there is no way to
change this.  I do not know how much truth there is in this; the memory
is hazy and I can't locate the place I found it with a quick search.

> Is it possible to build SunOS shared libraries with Gcc?

Gcc can't generate position-independent code, I think, and while you
can make non-PIC code into a shared library, it can't be used without
losing the code-sharing advantage because each process will potentially
map it at a different address and must do all the relocation patchups,
which will cause private copies of most of (probably all of) the text.
The dynamic-binding advantage will still remain, and you may choose to
do it anyway just for the sake of dynamic binding, for after all, you
definitely don't get the code-sharing advantage when you link static.
(Well, you do, but only among processes executing the same final
binary, not among all processes using the library.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (09/14/90)

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU wrote:
} First, there's really not much reason to bother with gcc on SPARC-based
} Suns.  At the moment Sun's compiler is, I believe, slightly better.

unless, of course, you are using it because it handles ANSI constructs and Sun's
cc doesn't (and won't for a while, even when you have to pay for it) or you are
developing in a heterogenous environment and want to use the same compiler
everywhere.
--
mark@DRD.Com uunet!apctrc!drd!mark$B!J%^!<%/!!!&%m!<%l%s%9!K(B