[comp.windows.x] X for Mac w/SLIP?

PJS@GROUCH.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott) (09/14/90)

Colleague has just gotten a Mac and does some work from home dialling
up the Sun-3 via a 9600 baud modem... sure would be nice to run X on
the Mac.  If he got any (either?) of the Mac X products, would it be
a cinch to get it working if he had SLIP?  Anyone got relevant
experience of the Mac X products?  Can you get them bundled with SLIP;
if not, where can you get SLIP for the Mac?

Peter Scott (pjs@grouch.jpl.nasa.gov)

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/14/90)

In article <900913143141.00000BC6091@grouch.JPL.NASA.GOV>,
PJS@GROUCH.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott) writes:
> Colleague has just gotten a Mac and does some work from home dialling
> up the Sun-3 via a 9600 baud modem... sure would be nice to run X on
> the Mac.  If he got any (either?) of the Mac X products, would it be
> a cinch to get it working if he had SLIP?  Anyone got relevant
> experience of the Mac X products?  Can you get them bundled with SLIP;
> if not, where can you get SLIP for the Mac?
>
> Peter Scott (pjs@grouch.jpl.nasa.gov)

This is an ongoing question.  Here is the answer as best I know and can
currently say.

There currently is no SLIP for MacTCP (which both X products use).  Keep
your eyes open though, sometime around the end of October you should find
what you seek.

Just as an aside, TCP/Coect II contains SLIP as well as SMTP/POP, NNTP, etc.
You could dialup with it and do a lot of what you want (no X though).

Hope that helps.
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products