[net.news] making netnews palatable

honey@down.FUN (code 101) (04/12/85)

i discovered a trick about a month ago that i would like to share with
you.  by turning off worthless newsgroups at my feed, i save big on
many resources.  consider these numbers:

lines in the history file:
	down:  1320
	tilt: 20792
(this may also say something about the state of the netnews software)

disk usage in /usr/spool/netnews:
	down:  3.9 megabytes
	tilt: 14.7 megabytes
(ditto above parenthetical remark)

time to run expire:
	down: 12 minutes
	tilt: 23 minutes

i suspect the time saved on uucico, uuxqt, and rnews reflects similar
dramatic savings.  how do i do this, you may ask?  it's simple!  here's
a fragment of the sys file on tilt.  (since one of these lines is over
900 bytes long, it's possible that rnews' worldwide may choke on this
-- cross your fingers):

down:net,!net.flame,!net.politics,!net.abortion,!net.philosophy,!net.sf-lovers,!net.veg,!net.religion,!net.sources.mac,!net.micro.mac,!net.jokes,!net.nlang,!net.social,!net.singles,!net.books,!net.movies,!net.origins,!net.taxes,!net.cooks,!net.games,!net.poems,!net.comics,!net.med,!net.women,net.women.only,!net.legal,!net.ai,!net.lang,!net.astro,!net.space,!net.sport,!net.tv,!net.ham-radio,!net.micro,!net.consumers,!net.rec,!net.aviation,!net.music,!net.auto,!net.audio,!net.test,!net.eunice,!net.wanted,!net.pets,!net.bicycle,!net.travel,!net.emacs,!net.columbia,!net.video,!net.startrek,!net.cycle,!net.puzzle,!net.garden,!net.theater,!net.analog,!net.chess,!net.wines,!net.physics,!net.motss,!net.math,!net.invest,!net.railroad,!net.graphics,!net.sci,!nj.wanted,!net.micro,!net.cog-eng,!net.works.apollo,!net.analog,!net.roots,!net.wobegon:U:uux -adown!news -ga -r down!rnews '<' !%s
down:na,nj,usa,mod,princeton,to.down,!mod.singles,!nj.wanted,!mod.unix,!na.forsale:U:uux -adown!news -ga -r down!rnews '<' !%s
down:fa,!fa.railroad,!fa.arms-d,!fa.info-mac,!fa.human-nets,!fa.laser-lovers,!fa.poli-sci:U:uux -adown!news -ga -r down!rnews '<' !%s

it's so trivial, anyone can do it!  no need to unsubscribe, just cut
out the middle man.  when i read the newsstats and realize that most of
the top-25'ers (groups and people) never pollute my machine, it leaves
me with a warm feeling.

	peter

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (04/16/85)

In article <492@down.FUN> honey@down.FUN (code 101) writes:
>   ...by turning off worthless newsgroups at my feed, i save big on
>many resources....
>   ...when i read the newsstats and realize that most of
>the top-25'ers (groups and people) never pollute my machine, it leaves
>me with a warm feeling.

Careful, peter--some of those top-25'ers might start calling you
"fascistic", and we all know how terrible that can be.  After all,
whose machine do you think you're running on, anyway?   :-)
--

Steve Vance
{dual,hplabs,intelca,nsc,proper}!qantel!stv