[comp.windows.x] Some questions about terminology

pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott) (09/14/90)

Hi.  I'm trying to get some things straight for a seminar I'm presenting
shortly... typically, I'm sure about the more detailed and technical stuff
but not some of the more general things.  I just want to make sure that I'm
accurate.  We used to run SunView and now we run X11R4 with Motif, so we
haven't used most of the things I'm asking about.  If I'm wrong on an
assertion, please set me right, as long as you're sure of your answer.
If I'm way off base keep those flame throwers on simmer, please.  Thanks!

o  Open Look is a look-and-feel put out by Sun and AT&T.  It comprises a
   style guide, widget set, and window manager, just like Motif.  The source
   code for all of these items is freely available via FTP.

o  SunView is the proprietary windowing system developed by Sun that they
   originally shipped with their machines.  SunTools is the API for SunView.
   Source code to SunView is not available.  Does Sun still support
   or develop SunView?

o  NeWS (Network-extensible Windowing System) is based on a PostScript
   interpreter and is a client-server model like X.  It corresponds
   to the X Protocol/Xlib levels of X.  Is the source code available
   via FTP?  Does anyone supply (or run) a pure NeWS server or just
   the combined X/NeWS Open Windows server?

o  The Open Look window manager (olwm) can run applications written for
   NeWS or X.  It does this by running a server from Sun called X/NeWS
   which serves both windowing systems.  Is the source code for this
   server available via FTP?

o  XView is an X toolkit, from Sun, based on the Open Look GUI.  I
   assume that it therefore contains a Sun version of the Intrinsics
   and a widget library.  How different are calls to XView from calls
   to Xt?  Is the source code available via FTP?

o  I'm told that Open Look runs applications written for SunView.  Do
   they need to be modified in any way?  Does this mean that I could
   have on one screen a window containing Xrn and a window containing
   mailtool?  What configuration would I need to make that happen?

o  Xt+ is a toolkit from AT&T based on the X Intrinsics.  Is it then a
   widget library?  A widget library plus some additional Xt-like
   routines?  Is it related to OLIT?

o  The ballyhoo about GUIs on Unix boxes appears to pit Open Look
   against Motif.  Are there any other contenders at this level
   that run on many architectures?  NeXTStep runs on NeXTs and
   has been licensed by IBM; is IBM shipping iron with NeXTStep
   running yet?

o  Open Desktop from SCO is a product like x.desktop from IXI and
   Looking Glass from Visix that adds a Mac-like icon-based interface
   to many common Unix commands, e.g., files are icons, and certain
   operations can be performed on them by moving and/or clicking on
   their icons.  Open Desktop uses mwm.

o  A tally of applications shipping for different GUIs (_Personal
   Workstation_, 9/90) shows Open Look eclipsing the competition.
   Is this lead due to their counting in applications that run under
   SunView and therefore automatically run under Open Look?  What would
   the tally look like without them?  (Tally shows 55 for Open Look vs.
   23 for NeXTStep, 22 for OS/2 PM, and 17 for Motif.)

o  X/Open is nothing to do with the X Window System and is so named merely
   as a distraction to people trying to keep all this **** terminology
   straight.  :-)

--
This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov)

steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep13.182045.16787@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> pjs@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov writes:

>Hi.  I'm trying to get some things straight for a seminar I'm presenting

No problem, glad to help!

[ ... major deletion, I know little about these items ... ]

>o  The Open Look window manager (olwm) can run applications written for
>   NeWS or X.  It does this by running a server from Sun called X/NeWS
>   which serves both windowing systems.  Is the source code for this
>   server available via FTP?

The window manager is separate from the ability to run NeWS applications,
since the server is what does the graphics, not the window manager.

[ ... more stuff that I'm likely to chew on my foot if I try to answer ... ]

>o  The ballyhoo about GUIs on Unix boxes appears to pit Open Look
>   against Motif.  Are there any other contenders at this level
>   that run on many architectures?  NeXTStep runs on NeXTs and
>   has been licensed by IBM; is IBM shipping iron with NeXTStep
>   running yet?

I guess I'd better take the 5th on this, being an IBM supplemental...

>o  Open Desktop from SCO is a product like x.desktop from IXI and
>   Looking Glass from Visix that adds a Mac-like icon-based interface
>   to many common Unix commands, e.g., files are icons, and certain
>   operations can be performed on them by moving and/or clicking on
>   their icons.  Open Desktop uses mwm.

Uhh...  Missed on this one.  Open Desktop (TM) is intended to be a complete
operating-system/user-interface/anything-that-looks-useful sort of product.
It comes in a surprisingly small box, and consists of:
    UNIX System V release 3 for the 386, with LOTS of enhancements.
    Locus Computing Corp.'s XSight X11R3 server
    Lachman Associates' TCP/IP
    Ingres Database Management
    Either VP/ix from (of all companies!) Interactive, or maybe
    DOSMerge from Locus, there seems to have been some indecision about that.
    X.desktop from IXI
    Mwm and a few (very few) Motif-ish clients.
    *No* C compiler, software development tools, or the like.

There's probably more that I missed.

>o  A tally of applications shipping for different GUIs (_Personal
>   Workstation_, 9/90) shows Open Look eclipsing the competition.
>   Is this lead due to their counting in applications that run under
>   SunView and therefore automatically run under Open Look?  What would
>   the tally look like without them?  (Tally shows 55 for Open Look vs.
>   23 for NeXTStep, 22 for OS/2 PM, and 17 for Motif.)

I was interested in finding out as well, but I haven't been able to get
through...  Please post (or at least e-mail me) if you learn anything about
this.

>o  X/Open is nothing to do with the X Window System and is so named merely
>   as a distraction to people trying to keep all this **** terminology
>   straight.  :-)

Right.  Exactly.

>--
>This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
>brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov)
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Nope, just the usual:
rn: brain fried -- Core dumped
--
By the way:  My invocation of the "letters" requires several things:
IBM is a copyright of International Business Machines, and I don't speak

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (09/17/90)

There seems to be a lot of--shall we say--"tense" feelings about
the X interface/toolkit wars. I don't really feel I have a vested
interest in any side of the war. And, as long as I can get my work done
and we get a portable system in the end, I don't really care what
the look and feel ends up looking like. I like X, I like NeWS,
I like Motif, I like OpenLook, I like PostScript, I like
the Macintosh, even though they cost far too much for a PC. What
I don't like is all the needless fighting.

Well, I hope this is more light than heat. If not, sorry...

In article <1990Sep13.182045.16787@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, pjs@aristotle.JPL.NASA.gov (Peter Scott) writes:

> Hi.  I'm trying to get some things straight for a seminar I'm presenting
> shortly... typically, I'm sure about the more detailed and technical stuff
> but not some of the more general things.  I just want to make sure that I'm
> accurate.  We used to run SunView and now we run X11R4 with Motif, so we
> haven't used most of the things I'm asking about.  If I'm wrong on an
> assertion, please set me right, as long as you're sure of your answer.
> If I'm way off base keep those flame throwers on simmer, please.  Thanks!
>

> o  Open Look is a look-and-feel put out by Sun and AT&T.  It comprises a
>    style guide, widget set, and window manager, just like Motif.

     [Open Look is basically a look-and-feel style, I believe. There
     are at least two toolkits that implement this style, the freely
     available XView and not-for-free OLIT, the OpenLook Intrinsics Toolkit
     (to use Sun's name) from AT&T.  At least one OpenLook window manager,
      olwm, is available on the X11R4 contrib tape.]

>    The source
>    code for all of these items is freely available via FTP.

     [Not exactly, see above. I also believe the style guide is
     published as a book and isn't free (unless you count it as a
     freebie when you buy the software, like OpenWindows, from Sun).]

> o  SunView is the proprietary windowing system developed by Sun that they
>    originally shipped with their machines.  SunTools is the API for SunView.
>    Source code to SunView is not available.  Does Sun still support
>    or develop SunView?

     [I think Sun is moving to what they call OpenWindows, which is their
     merged X11/NeWS system. There are a LOT of SunView applications
     out there (many more commercial SunView apps exist than commercial
     X apps), so I suspect Sun will at the very least support this
     for a long time.]

> o  NeWS (Network-extensible Windowing System) is based on a PostScript
>    interpreter and is a client-server model like X.

     [Close enough, I won't quibble. The important thing about NeWS is
     the realization that the protocol you use to talk to a graphics
     server is a command language. The NeWS folks then decided to use
     an explicit language (with subroutines et. al.) for communication
     to their server.  This language is based on PostScript and allows
     you to download code to the server. This tends to make the server
     much larger (dynamically) but increases interactive performance
     for those things you download (since you avoid network
     transmissions then).  Since it is based on PostScript,
     which is hosted on many printers, it is generally easier to
     print out portions of the screen, although X tools to this effect
     have advanced a lot in the last few years.]

>    It corresponds
>    to the X Protocol/Xlib levels of X.

     [I view PostScript as much higher level than the Xlib, but in terms
     of user-interface abstractions (like widgets), PostScript is probably
     at a lower level than Xt. With PostScript, you can draw a one-inch-
     square box. This box will be (approx.) one inch square on every screen
     or page it is displayed on. With Xlib, this task is a wee bit tougher.]

>    Is the source code available
>    via FTP?  Does anyone supply (or run) a pure NeWS server or just
>    the combined X/NeWS Open Windows server?

> o  The Open Look window manager (olwm) can run applications written for
>    NeWS or X.  It does this by running a server from Sun called X/NeWS
>    which serves both windowing systems.  Is the source code for this
>    server available via FTP?
>
> o  XView is an X toolkit, from Sun, based on the Open Look GUI.  I
>    assume that it therefore contains a Sun version of the Intrinsics

     [Nope. XView is really an attempt to port SunView functions to X.
     That is, if you have a SunView application you want to port to X, XView
     is probably the easiest way to go.  The programmer's function-call
     interface, or API for the acronym freaks, looks a lot like the
     SunView API, and not at all like Xt-based toolkits. XView is NOT
     based on the Xt Intrinsics at all.]

>    and a widget library.  How different are calls to XView from calls
>    to Xt?  Is the source code available via FTP?

     [XView and Xt are very different. If you want an Xt-based toolkit
     that implements OpenLook's look-and-feel, use the AT&T toolkit,
     which Sun calls OLIT. XView source appeared on comp.sources.x,
     and an earlier version is on the R4 contrib tape, I believe.]

> o  I'm told that Open Look runs applications written for SunView.  Do
>    they need to be modified in any way?  Does this mean that I could
>    have on one screen a window containing Xrn and a window containing
>    mailtool?  What configuration would I need to make that happen?

     [Sun's merged X11/NeWS server, called OpenWindows, runs (I believe)
     SunView, X11 and NeWS apps. OpenWindows comes with two OpenLook
     toolkits and a NeWS toolkit (tNt--the NeWS toolkit). I haven't
     freed up the disk space to run OpenWindows 2.0 yet, but I believe
     the above is still accurate. Yes, old mailtool and xrn could both
     run under the OpenWindows server, although I think mailtool
     has been rewritten with XView so that it now has an OpenLook
     look-and-feel. If you wanted to, you could get OpenWindows
     and then order Motif froma  third party. You could then run
     Motif and OpenLook apps side by side. Pretty scary, huh?

     I think there is some major confusion going on here. Remember
     what you put at the beginning:

          "Open Look is a look-and-feel put out by Sun and AT&T.
          It comprises a style guide, widget set, and window manager,
          just like Motif."

     How do you run programs under a "look-and-feel"? The whole point
     is that you don't. Both OpenLook and Motif (at least in their
     current incarnations) sit on top of the X Window System (ignoring
     for a momement Sun's X11/NeWS merged system and all other
     merged systems). So, when you run a Motif application, you are
     REALLY RUNNING AN X WINDOW APPLICATION. There's nothing to stop
     you from running a Motif application under an official OpenLook
     system like Sun's OpenWindows. Now, since a part of each interface
     (OpenLook and Motif) is a window manger, you won't get your
     full Motif mileage if you run an OpenLook window manager like
     olwm. And vice versa. But, there's nothing stopping you from
     mixing and matching to your heart's content. All of the following
     toolkits are based on the X library, Xlib: Motif, OLIT and XView.
     (Motif and OLIT are also based on the Xt Intrinsics.) So,
     this makes all these toolkits highly portable (with some
     caveats).

     I get the distinct impression that many people out there
     believe that OpenLook and Motif are mutually exclusive.
     They aren't.  Each look and feel looks different, but not by
     much. Each look and feel has a different window manager, but
     both claim ICCCM compliance (both do extra things not in the
     ICCCM, but your apps can still live under the competing
     window manager). Each look and feel contains a different
     toolkit (or toolkits), so that means programmers get the
     headaches, not the users. As an aside, how many of you out
     there are running an Athena-look-and-feel application called
     xterm under another (competing) look and feel like Motif or OpenLook?
     See, you can mix look-and-feels, and you're probably doing
     it right now.]

> o  Xt+ is a toolkit from AT&T based on the X Intrinsics.  Is it then a
>    widget library?  A widget library plus some additional Xt-like
>    routines?  Is it related to OLIT?
>
> o  The ballyhoo about GUIs on Unix boxes appears to pit Open Look
>    against Motif.  Are there any other contenders at this level
>    that run on many architectures?  NeXTStep runs on NeXTs and
>    has been licensed by IBM; is IBM shipping iron with NeXTStep
>    running yet?

     [The "ballyhoo" of Ooeey Gooeeys on UNIX ignores the fact
     that SunView still has more applications going for it than X,
     and also ignores the fact that most X applications can really run
     under any window manager.]

> o  Open Desktop from SCO is a product like x.desktop from IXI and
>    Looking Glass from Visix that adds a Mac-like icon-based interface
>    to many common Unix commands, e.g., files are icons, and certain
>    operations can be performed on them by moving and/or clicking on
>    their icons.  Open Desktop uses mwm.

     [OpenDesktop is really a collection of separate pieces. OpenDesktop
     includes X.desktop from IXI. It also includes the Motif window
     manager, the Motif toolkit (in the developer's version) and
     a relational data base (Ingres) and much, much more.]

> o  A tally of applications shipping for different GUIs (_Personal
>    Workstation_, 9/90) shows Open Look eclipsing the competition.

     [The Personal Workstation tally really annoys me. First, I have
     yet to see a list of the applications (maybe I missed an issue).
     Second, they do not count developer tools. The way I view
     things is applications is applications. Third, they skip
     SunView, which has zillions of applications (I'm not a fan
     of SunView at all, since it only runs on Suns, but I like
     to think I can recognize reality) and other grapgical interfaces.
     I think their lead-in statement is inaccurate:

        "This month's list of shipping applications for multitasking
        operating systems with a graphical user interface includes...",
        (Sept 1990 Personal Workstation, pg. 14).

     Aren't there a few DECwindows applications that run under VMS?
     I certainly don't see any DECwindows charts. How about the Macintosh
     interface?  Its certainly a graphical user interface, and it
     runs now with A/UX 2.0 and includes a neat application called
     Commando (a UNIX port of the MPW utility of the same name).
     Commando puts a friendly interface on UNIX programs like cpio
     and tar. You click with the mouse in a dialog and build
     up the command-line options. I can never remember cpio's
     command-line options and the people who I consider users of
     the systems I put out generally have a minimal background in
     UNIX, so I wish I had a program like that. Commando is an
     application that runs under a multitasking operating system
     with a graphical user interface. Why isn't it counted?

     Fourth, I believe computer magazines should help clarify things,
     not confuse them. I believe the list confuses people by making
     them believe that you cannot run Motif apps under OpenLook
     and vice versa. You can.]

>    Is this lead due to their counting in applications that run under
>    SunView and therefore automatically run under Open Look?  What would
>    the tally look like without them?  (Tally shows 55 for Open Look vs.
>    23 for NeXTStep, 22 for OS/2 PM, and 17 for Motif.)

     [Look in a one of Sun's third-party catalogs and I think you'll
     see zillions of SunView apps.]

> o  X/Open is nothing to do with the X Window System and is so named merely
>    as a distraction to people trying to keep all this **** terminology
>    straight.  :-)

     [X is a letter of the alphabet and a lot of companies use this
     letter in their product names.  If you want a truly different
     name, just think, we could be running under the Uncle
     Framrod Organized (UFO) Window System.]

> --
> This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
> brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov)

My string opinions are my own.

Hope this helps,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson               phone: +1 612 894 0313    BTI: Industrial
Boulware Technologies, Inc.   fax:   +1 612 894 0316    automation systems