[comp.windows.x] Help with X Resources and the Widget Creation Library!

wangah@mcbunny.crd.ge.com (Anna H Wang) (09/15/90)

Hello,

Is there anyone out there who is experienced with the Widget Creation
Library?

I am using the Athean Widgets v.R4 and I was wondering if there was
a way in which you can manually set resources during run-time, i.e.
overwriting or adding resources, but not through the resource file?
I would appreciate any help/insight you can give!  Please email me,
or call!

Anna
(518)387-6779
wangah@crd.ge.com

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (09/15/90)

In article <11903@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> wangah@mcbunny.crd.ge.com writes:
>Hello,
>
>Is there anyone out there who is experienced with the Widget Creation
>Library?
>
>I am using the Athean Widgets v.R4 and I was wondering if there was
>a way in which you can manually set resources during run-time, i.e.
>overwriting or adding resources, but not through the resource file?

  Nop, this thing is not ready yet.
  Of course, you can write callbacks setting whatever resource on
  whatever target (Wc or WsXc has examples of doing just that).
  Or you can pop-up a dialog box that will set any resource on any
  object specified by name. You can get more and more sofisticated
  here, from selecting objects by pointer through listing object's
  resources lists all the way to resource files update...
  (I just widh the day had 48 hours)

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM

randy@erik.UUCP (Randy Brown) (09/17/90)

wangah@crd.ge.com
>I am using the Athean Widgets v.R4 and I was wondering if there was
>a way in which you can manually set resources during run-time, i.e.
>overwriting or adding resources, but not through the resource file?
>I would appreciate any help/insight you can give!  Please email me,
>or call!

WCL jst uses the X resource database, period.  Therefore, any way
you like to modify the database works.  You can use xrdb before
you start or -xrm on the command line.  During execution you can use
any of the Xrm routines. XrmPutLineResource is especially comfortable.
Of course, none of these work on widgets that have already been created.

There is also a Wc routine to read in and interpret a named file; the
routine's name escapes me at the moment.

It wouldn't be hard to use a couple of dialog boxes to get a line for
XrmPutLineResource or a file name for WCL interpretation.

Randy Brown (uunet!erik!rbrown)