[comp.windows.x] Spreadsheet for Sun w/ X support.

rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) (09/08/90)

I would like information on spreadsheets for Suns that support X.
There is an article in the latest Unix Today comparing Lotus 123,
20/20, and WingZ, unfortunately, only 20/20 runs under X. There
was a comment in the article about the lack of ease when dealing
with multiple worksheets which cross reference each other. I would
like to hear from people who have acutally used 20/20 to comment
on it's strengths and weaknesses. I am also interested in hearing
about other spreadsheets that people are using. Anyone have comments
on UltraCalc II from Olympus Software Inc. or Q-Plan/CliqCalc from
Quadratron Systems Inc.? These are listed in the latest Catalyst
catalog from Sun.

Please send mail to me directly (rapatel@pilot.njin.net). I will
post the collected information if many people request it.

Thanks,
Rakesh Patel.

jac@sundance.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (09/11/90)

  I would be very interested in a summary of your responses. I
was quite excited after reading a review of WingZ the other day,
until I read it was a SunView product. What I don't understand
is why they went to the trouble to write a SunView product with
the OPEN LOOK UI (and it must have been trouble, since Sun doesn't
supply tools to do this, as far as I know). Sheesh!

  Jim

James A. Crotinger   Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab // The above views
jac@gandalf.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630     \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259       Livermore CA  94550       \\/ necessarily those of LLNL.

de5@de5.CTD.ORNL.GOV (Dave Sill) (09/11/90)

In article <67778@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, jac@sundance.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) writes:

>  I would be very interested in a summary of your responses. I
>was quite excited after reading a review of WingZ the other day,
>until I read it was a SunView product. What I don't understand
>is why they went to the trouble to write a SunView product with
>the OPEN LOOK UI (and it must have been trouble, since Sun doesn't
>supply tools to do this, as far as I know). Sheesh!

I called Informix last winter and they said they were working on a
Motif version of WingZ and expected it to be shipping Q4 of this year.
This is confirmed somewhat by the inclusion of WingZ in NCD's eXport
Catalog which lists WingZ for the DECstation 2100/3100 at $599.

Other speadsheets listed include eXclaim! by Quality Software Products
and a couple bundled with the Office Automation packages Uniplex
Business Software (by Uniplex) and Alis (by Applix).

I have no first-hand experience with any of these packages.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)
Martin Marietta Energy Systems

willis@ecovsb.ncsu.edu (Bill Willis) (09/11/90)

Applied Information Systems will begin shipping a product named Xess in
mid-October. It is a full functioned X11/Motif based spreadsheet which
offers special capabilites in the area of scientific computation,
statistics, and has the ability to program client process which connect
with the sheet.

Notably it is a true X11 program and makes full use of X11 cpabilities
including cut-paste between other sheets and other X applications.

Those interested should contact Applied Information Systems in Chapel
Hill, North Carolina. Their number is 1 800 334 5510

BTW, I must admit to an interest in the program. I was one of the developers...

Bill Willis, Director                 willis@ecovsa.ncsu.edu
Engineering Computer Operations       willis%ecovsa@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
Box 7901, School of Engineering
North Carolina State University
(919) 737-2458

               We have met the enemy, and they are us --- Pogo

chris@SALT.ACC.COM (Chris VandenBerg) (09/11/90)

>In article <67778@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, jac@sundance.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) writes:
>>
>>  I would be very interested in a summary of your responses. I
>>was quite excited after reading a review of WingZ the other day,
>>until I read it was a SunView product. What I don't understand
>>is why they went to the trouble to write a SunView product with
>>the OPEN LOOK UI (and it must have been trouble, since Sun doesn't
>>supply tools to do this, as far as I know). Sheesh!

>I called Informix last winter and they said they were working on a
>Motif version of WingZ and expected it to be shipping Q4 of this year.
>This is confirmed somewhat by the inclusion of WingZ in NCD's eXport
>Catalog which lists WingZ for the DECstation 2100/3100 at $599.

	I have used the WINGZ package to create and display reports
using data that we collect through our network management station and
I think it is fantastic! No, Informix, doesn't pay me to say such things
but when someone like me can sit down and learn a product in a day and
create a custom report with interactive buttons to graph data in a
dozen ways I'M IMPRESSED. I would suggest you give it a "testflight"...
		Chris VandenBerg
		ACC(chris@salt.acc.com)
		805-963-9431

jac@gandalf..llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (09/12/90)

  Will these Motif-based spreadsheets (and other products, for that
matter) work under a non-motif window manager? In particular, will
they work under TWM and OLWM?

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/12/90)

In a recent article jac@sundance.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) writes:

>  I would be very interested in a summary of your responses. I
>was quite excited after reading a review of WingZ the other day,
>until I read it was a SunView product. What I don't understand
>is why they went to the trouble to write a SunView product with
>the OPEN LOOK UI (and it must have been trouble, since Sun doesn't
>supply tools to do this, as far as I know). Sheesh!

Quality Software Products (QSP) has a Motif-based Excel-alike spreadsheet
named "eXclaim!". It reads & writes Lotus 1-2-3 files and can even use
Lotus commands if one really want to.
--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).

mikeh@bryant.NCD.COM (Mike Harrigan) (09/14/90)

In article <67791@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, jac@gandalf..llnl.gov (James
Crotinger) writes:

|>   Will these Motif-based spreadsheets (and other products, for that
|> matter) work under a non-motif window manager? In particular, will
|> they work under TWM and OLWM?
|>
|>   Jim

Well, Jim, you said a mouthfull.  I've had the opportunity to try many X
applications at NCD and this is one of the biggest problems.
Application developers seem to choose a particular toolkit, then use the
window manager from that toolkit throughout development, never testing
with another wm.  In some cases (I won't mention names, but you know who
you are) they even do real no-no's like making the application depend on
click-to-focus capability.

Other problems I've seen include not being able to use X cut-and-paste
(again, you know who you are) and requiring their own special fonts
(like there aren't enough different fonts in the standard X release, so
they invent a few new ones).

It's up to us users to keep these guys on their toes.

Mike Harrigan
Network Computing Devices
mikeh@ncd.com

rick@cstr.ed.ac.uk (Rick Innis) (09/14/90)

In article <1774@hugo.erbe.se> prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
  Quality Software Products (QSP) has a Motif-based Excel-alike spreadsheet
  named "eXclaim!". It reads & writes Lotus 1-2-3 files and can even use
  Lotus commands if one really want to.
--
And as long as Lotus Development Copr doesn't find out.... 1/2 :-)

	--Rick.

jip@alw.nih.gov (john powell) (09/14/90)

Crotinger) writes:

||>   Will these Motif-based spreadsheets (and other products, for that
||> matter) work under a non-motif window manager? In particular, will
||> they work under TWM and OLWM?
||>
||>   Jim
||>
|>Well, Jim, you said a mouthfull.  I've had the opportunity to try many X
|>applications at NCD and this is one of the biggest problems.
|>Application developers seem to choose a particular toolkit, then use the
|>window manager from that toolkit throughout development, never testing
|>with another wm.  In some cases (I won't mention names, but you know who
|>you are) they even do real no-no's like making the application depend on
|>click-to-focus capability.

|>Other problems I've seen include not being able to use X cut-and-paste
|>(again, you know who you are) and requiring their own special fonts
|>(like there aren't enough different fonts in the standard X release, so
|>they invent a few new ones).

|>It's up to us users to keep these guys on their toes.It's up to us users to
|>keep these guys on their toes.

If we want to keep them on their toes, then we should IDENTIFY those products
that depend on OLWM or MWM or click-to-focus or ....

			jip@alw.nih.gov
			(John Powell)

rapatel@khnphwzhn.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) (09/15/90)

>If we want to keep them on their toes, then we should IDENTIFY those products
>that depend on OLWM or MWM or click-to-focus or ....
>
>			jip@alw.nih.gov
>			(John Powell)

I agree. That is one of the things I need to know. The person that
needs to use the spreadsheet is using an NCD16 X terminal, served off
of a Sun 4/280.

I am also interested in problems people ran accross when attempting
to things like merging worksheets, referencing data from another
worksheet, etc., along with how well it integrates with X and X
terminals. Anyone have comments on these types of "features"?

Rakesh Patel.

mikew@fx.com (Mike Wexler) (09/18/90)

>Well, Jim, you said a mouthfull.  I've had the opportunity to try many X
>applications at NCD and this is one of the biggest problems.
>Application developers seem to choose a particular toolkit, then use the
>window manager from that toolkit throughout development, never testing
>with another wm.  In some cases (I won't mention names, but you know who
>you are) they even do real no-no's like making the application depend on
>click-to-focus capability.
This is not really the applications vendor fault. Its more of a time to market
issue. When Motif 1.0 was being developed, the ICCCM was not yet complete.
Motif 1.0 was based on a draft version of the ICCCM. Between that draft version
and the release of ICCCM there were substantial changes.
Because of this, most (probably all) Motif 1.0 based applications will not work
properly under any window manager except mwm. This is supposedly fixed in
Motif 1.1. As the applications vendors port to Motif 1.1, this situation
should get better.

--
Mike Wexler (mikew@fx.com)