[net.news] .signature handling in Pnews

dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (04/05/85)

When I posted my original query about adding .signature file handling
to Larry Wall's Pnews script, I was running on only one engine.

I have learned that .signature file handling is not the responsibility
of the posting script or program, but of inews itself. For some
reason, our inews here must not be properly tuned or is not
being passed the proper switches, or soemthing like that.

In any event, Larry was right, apparently, in not including it
in his Pnews script. And soon, I may even get around to figuring
out why our own inews doesn't handle our .signature files.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
		  Time Inc. Edit./Prod. Tech. Grp., New York City
		  Voice: (212) 554-5061 \ Compuserve: 70210,523
		  Telemail: DERNEST/TIMECOMDIV/TIMEINC \ MCI: DERNEST
"The opinions expressed above are those of the writer and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinions of Time Incorporated."

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/09/85)

In article <139@timeinc.UUCP> dwight@timeb.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) writes:

>For some reason, our inews here must not be properly tuned or is not
>being passed the proper switches, or soemthing like that.

  Since inews runs as setuid news, your home directory and your .signature
MUST be readable by others in order to enable inews to include it. If your home
directory is protected (unreadable by others) or if your .signature is
unreadable then you won't be able to use your .signature.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (04/17/85)

Here's a hint if your "inews" doesn't seem to be appending your
".signature" file to your postings:

"inews" runs setuid to news.  If your home directory is such
that user "news" (or whatever on your system) cannot get into
your home directory to read the .signature file, then it won't
get added to the posting.

A few of our users ran into this recently....
--
Gene "4 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332