[comp.windows.x] Request for Menu samples

aschaffe@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (on the Holodeck) (09/20/90)

I am a novice X programmer, and am trying to create an application which
contains a 'menu bar' and drop-down menus.

I am limited to the tools included in the R4 distribution (ie, no Motif or
Open Look) ...so I am using Athena Widgets.

An example of what I am looking for:

(Menu Bar opening drop-down menus, Scrollbar along the left side of a text area)
|   File      Edit       Generate      Help     Foo  |
|-|--------------------------------------------------|
|#|          Text area (point & click on an entry,   |
|#|                    and another window opens up)  |
|#|                                                  |

Is there anyone out there who has an example of the code I need?
I am sure that this has been written hundreds of times, and
I assume it is relatively straightforward..

If you have a skeleton program that I could just 'add callbacks' to, that
would be gravy.  In particular, I am looking for code to implement the
menus.

[Please respond via mail:  aschaffe@polyslo.calpoly.edu]

Thanks in advance,

Allan

--
[---------------------------------------------------------------------------]
| Allan Schaffer                   |   "We now know the enemy...            |

rlh2@ukc.ac.uk (Richard Hesketh) (09/20/90)

In article <26f7a63f.26e1@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> aschaffe@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (on the Holodeck) writes:

>I am a novice X programmer, and am trying to create an application which
>contains a 'menu bar' and drop-down menus.
>
>I am limited to the tools included in the R4 distribution (ie, no Motif or
>Open Look) ...so I am using Athena Widgets.

The best example of this in the R4 distribution is probably xman
(mit/clients/xman).

xmh (mit/clients/xmh) does a fair job and there is also xfontsel
(mit/clients/xfontsel).

Richard