[comp.windows.x] Is there a GIF picture editor?

luis@postgres.berkeley.edu (Luis Miguel) (09/20/90)

Is there a program out there that would allow me
to "cut off" parts of a gif picture?

Thanks,

/Luis

Luis Miguel. Computer Science Division, UC Berkeley.
arpanet: luis@postgres.Berkeley.EDU
uucp: {ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!postgres!luis
at&t: (415) 642-8234

roger@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Roger Petersen) (09/20/90)

In comp.windows.x, luis@postgres.berkeley.edu (Luis Miguel) writes:

> Is there a program out there that would allow me
> to "cut off" parts of a gif picture?

The brute force, low level method is to use the FBM or PPM utilities.
These allow extracting areas of the image.

They also keep all colors in tact, which is sometimes tricky when editing a
256 color image on a 256 color display.

Roger Petersen

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (09/20/90)

> Is there a program out there that would allow me to "cut off" parts
> of a gif picture?

giftoppm | pnmcut <arguments> | ppmtogif

(If you don't have the pbm package, get it - it can be had by anonymous
ftp to many places, including uunet.uu.net.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

(By the way, what does this have to do with X?)

phils@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv) (09/20/90)

> Is there a program out there that would allow me
> to "cut off" parts of a gif picture?

If you have a Motif license and x11r4, you can get the "Xim" package
to this interactively.  Xim does basic image manipulations and
processing - no painting.  Xim also reads/writes rle, tiff, xwd, xbm,
xim and other formats.  You can get Xim from video.mit.edu
(18.80.0.45) and the latest version is xim3f.tar.

Philip Thompson
Dept. of Architecture and Urban Planning, MIT