[net.news] PREAN

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (04/15/85)

Only half in jest:

	This is for all the people who take 6 months to learn what MOTSS stands
for, who have had too much of YAs, BTWs, and FTLs, and who can't imagine why
so much fuss is made of President Johnson (LBJ)

	The Time has come for PREAN.

	PREAN, of course, is the
	Program for the Reduction or Elimination of Acronyms from News
	^               ^            ^              ^             ^

(Note: credit for the idea must go to Paul A. Tessier, MD / Portsmouth NH)

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

phillips@reed.UUCP (Patrick Phillips) (04/19/85)

>	The Time has come for PREAN.
>
>	PREAN, of course, is the
>	Program for the Reduction or Elimination of Acronyms from News
>	^               ^            ^              ^             ^

When I was working for IBM this summer, there was a program on the
system which would translate acronyms for you.  There were thousands.
No one likes acronyms like IBM.  There was no entry for AT&T or UNIX
(I know, I know, UNIX doesn't stand for anything).  My favorite
entry was
	IBM:	You must be kidding.
And who says it's an organization without a sense of humor.

	-Patrick Phillips (phillips@reed)

"I never trust a computer system where the terminal does more work
 than the cpu."

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/20/85)

In article <1361@reed.UUCP> phillips@reed.UUCP (Patrick Phillips) writes:
>When I was working for IBM this summer, there was a program on the
>system which would translate acronyms for you.  There were thousands.
>No one likes acronyms like IBM.

actually, NASA probably has more.  any good ones from you NASA folks?

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

riks@teklds.UUCP (Rik Smoody) (04/24/85)

> >When I was working for IBM this summer, there was a program on the
> >system which would translate acronyms for you.  There were thousands.
> >No one likes acronyms like IBM.
>
> actually, NASA probably has more.  any good ones from you NASA folks?
From the discard table at a local library I found a paperbound volume
entitled  "New Acronyms, Initialisms, & Abbreviations 1982".
It has two hundred pages, two column, ~ 60 lines/column.
It's volume 2: They only publish the new ones every year.
And it doesn't really claim to cover Computers or Engineering.

I didn't have the heart to find the Complete dictionary from the
previous year, nor volume 3: REVERSE Acronyms....
	(Gee, I think I'll try to figure those out on the fly...)

If anyone is interested, these fine books come from Gale Research Co.,
Book Tower, Detroit, MI 48226.
Or you can have mine: send SASE.

Rik Smoody

greg@ncr-tp.UUCP (Greg Noel) (04/24/85)

In article <1369@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>	PREAN, of course, is the
>	Program for the Reduction or Elimination of Acronyms from News

This reminds me of my all-time favorite organization.  I quote from the
"Acronym and Abbreviations List" published by the Naval Electronics
Laboratory Center, Computer Sciences Department, Code 5000, 271 Catalina
Blvd, San Diego, California 92152:

AAAAAA	The Association for the Abolition of Abused Abbreviations and
	Assinine Acronyms.

The organization is real.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Torrey Pines       Greg@ncr-tp.UUCP or Greg@nosc.ARPA