[comp.windows.x] Messages overwrite root screen

shmulevi@haapana.tut.fi (Shmulevich Ilya) (09/18/90)

I have been having some problems with some messages overwriting the
screen. They are just like the normal Sun font before you load any
window environment. For example, if XRN generates some message like
"Bogus newsgroup removed..." it doesn't put it in any window, but just
writes it across the whole screen. It is NOT possible to refresh the
screen and everything is hidden behind these message, even the pointer.
What can I do to cure this problem?

Thanx a lot,

Ilya Shmulevich
shmulevi@tut.fi

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (09/19/90)

> I have been having some problems with some messages overwriting the
> screen.  They are just like the normal Sun font before you load any
> window environment.  For example, if XRN generates some message like
> "Bogus newsgroup removed..." it doesn't put it in any window, but
> just writes it across the whole screen.  It is NOT possible to
> refresh the screen and everything is hidden behind these message,
> even the pointer.  What can I do to cure this problem?

When you ask a question like this, it would be helpful if you would
describe particulars: what version of X you are running, what sort of
machine you're running it on, etc....

In this case, I will assume you are on a Sun (because you talk about
"normal Sun font").  I will also assume, because it is the simplest
explanation for your problem that comes to mind, that your Sun has a
cg4 (or functionally similar) display and you're using X11R4.  You
also, I would say, are starting XRN from a window-manager menu
selection, and do not have any console window running.

(See what I mean about things you should mention?  If my assumptions
are invalid, my analysis will also be invalid, and this message
probably won't be much help.  Of course, you can't know everything
that's significant, but try.  In this case you're lucky; the problem
you describe is, at least on Suns, likely to occur only in the presence
of all of the above things, which makes diagnosis easier.)

Since XRN is running from a window manager menu selection, its output
is connected to /dev/console.  Since you aren't running a console
window, stuff sent to /dev/console gets plopped onto the framebuffer
directly.  Since you have a cg4, stuff sent directly to the framebuffer
is displayed by writing it into the "monochrome" plane and scribbling
on the enable plane to ensure that it's visible.  Since you're running
R4, the default screen is the color plane (R3 had the mono plane as the
default, with the color plane as screen 1).  The messages appear "in
front of everything" only because "everything" is in the color plane;
part of the monitor's method of displaying stuff involves ensuring that
in the area of the screen where the message is, the mono plane is "in
front of" the color plane.

If you refresh screen 1, the messages should go away, but that still
won't reset the enable plane to the state you want.  To do this, switch
screens and then switch back (you may be able to do this by moving the
mouse off the left or right edge of the screen; if that doesn't do it
and you can't find any other way, drop me a line - I have two programs
that might help).

As to cures....

One simple thing to do is to start up a console window whenever you are
actually on the console of the machine you're using (as opposed to,
say, on an X terminal using the Sun remotely).  There are other
solutions, but they get more complicated.  (For example, I wrote a
console-output daemon which could be useful in this case.)

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

pop@cohesive.UUCP (Steve Tufty) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep18.110327.22239@funet.fi> shmulevi@haapana.tut.fi (Shmulevich Ilya) writes:

>I have been having some problems with some messages overwriting the
>screen. They are just like the normal Sun font before you load any
>window environment. For example, if XRN generates some message like
>"Bogus newsgroup removed..." it doesn't put it in any window, but just
>writes it across the whole screen. It is NOT possible to refresh the
>screen and everything is hidden behind these message, even the pointer.
>What can I do to cure this problem?

It appears that you do not have an xterm which is accepting the
output that goes to the console.  Try adding the following to
your .xinitrc file (or type it in to any window)

xterm -C &

As for not being able to refresh the screen, look in your
.<window_manager_of_preference>rc file to make sure you have
a line which causes the "f.refresh" action to occur.

pop

These views are mine only and do not reflect the opinions of the
company for which I work.

cohesive!pop@sun.COM
Steve (let's tee off) Tufty - 		sun!cohesive!pop
Cohesive Network
Los Gatos California 95030		(408) 370-4193