[net.news] Tektronic umbrage

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (04/26/85)

["Netnews - people on parade!"]

> 	Last Friday, I got a call from the local Tektronix sales rep
> who (1) offered to sell my one of their fancy $5K (I don't remember the
> exact price) plotters that was "much more reliable," and (2) informed
> me that her higher-ups at Tek were not at all pleased that I had
> posted an article from which people could infer that Tektronix
> equipment was unreliable, and stated (I paraphrase here) "Tektronix was
> not planning to take any action against me, but we are increasingly
> concerned about this kind of posting, and feel that we will have to
> take action against people who post that sort of message in the
> future."
> 	My question is: did I really do something wrong by posting the
> article?

NO!

The Net is the arsenal of anarchy.  Nobody has any business going outside
the Net for redress.  In fact, all news recipients ought to be required
to agree not to prosecute one another for netlibel.

Legally, you're in the clear.  How could it be proved who you are or
that you and not somebody else posted the article?
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (04/29/85)

In article <154@gloria.UUCP>, colonel@gloria.UUCP writes:
> The Net is the arsenal of anarchy.  Nobody has any business going outside
> the Net for redress.  In fact, all news recipients ought to be required
> to agree not to prosecute one another for netlibel.
>
> Legally, you're in the clear.  How could it be proved who you are or
> that you and not somebody else posted the article?
> --
> Col. G. L. Sicherman
> ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

Just as a point of information, our policy is that we will not say anything
bad about vendors, competitors, or customers on this network. (although
sometimes new users slip up) We'd prefer to work it out with them rather
than getting outsiders involved. I happen to think this is a wise policy
but am not trying to force this on others.
--
 I speak for myself and no one else.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (04/29/85)

> Just as a point of information, our policy is that we will not say anything
> bad about vendors, competitors, or customers on this network. (although
> sometimes new users slip up) We'd prefer to work it out with them rather
> than getting outsiders involved. I happen to think this is a wise policy
> but am not trying to force this on others.
>
>  Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720

	I always try to straighten up a problem with the company involved
first, too, but I will not hesitate to let the rest of the world know about
the problem, if the company fails to rectify it within a reasonable amount
of time. I also let them know that I am going to tell the world about it,
so they have a chance to fix things quietly.

 	By the way, I occasionally write software reviews, and software
manufacturers really hate 'bad press'.
--

uucp: {vax135|ihnp4}!timeinc!wcom!frodo
ARPA: 1891@NJIT-EIES.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (05/01/85)

In article <56@wcom.UUCP> frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) writes:

>> Just as a point of information, our policy is that we will not say anything
>> bad about vendors, competitors, or customers on this network. (although
>> sometimes new users slip up) We'd prefer to work it out with them rather
>> than getting outsiders involved. I happen to think this is a wise policy
>> but am not trying to force this on others.
>
>	I always try to straighten up a problem with the company involved
>first, too, but I will not hesitate to let the rest of the world know about
>the problem, if the company fails to rectify it within a reasonable amount
>of time. I also let them know that I am going to tell the world about it,
>so they have a chance to fix things quietly.

 o Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

 o As ye sew, so shall ye reap.

Maxims for the modernday world. If people would remember these in ALL of
their net activity, this would be a much nicer place.....

--
:From the closet of anxieties of:                 Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Remember me, for that which I must do shall ring out upon the heavens and
my name shall be renounced by the tongues of all mankind! - J. Iscariot