[comp.windows.x] Motif 1.1 and R4 Xlib not compatible

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (09/25/90)

I brought this up some time ago, when Motif 1.1 was announced.  Several
people at the OSF said very clearly that Motif 1.1 would be based on
the standard MIT Xt.

I've just seen the Motif 1.1 distribution tape, and this simply is not
true.  The version of Xt on the Motif tape is the MIT version, plus all
fourteen official patches, *PLUS* another patch.  Apparently this patch
has been submitted to MIT, but has not yet been incorporated in a patch
issued by MIT for general use.

So, I would like to know what the real story here is.  Is this simply
a case of a delay at MIT?  I've seen a couple of ablique references
in postings from there to a patch 15 - perhaps this will inlcude the
OSF fixes?  Or is this just another case of the OSF assuming that they
can do whatever they want, and everyone else will just have to go along
with them?

As I said before, I absolutely don't want to be put in the position of
having to keep two complete, incompatible, copies of Xt around.

jw

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (09/25/90)

In article <997@pan.UUCP> jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) writes:

>I brought this up some time ago, when Motif 1.1 was announced.  Several
>people at the OSF said very clearly that Motif 1.1 would be based on
>the standard MIT Xt.

It is.

> [some deleted]
>So, I would like to know what the real story here is.  Is this simply
>a case of a delay at MIT?  I've seen a couple of ablique references
>in postings from there to a patch 15 - perhaps this will inlcude the
>OSF fixes?  Or is this just another case of the OSF assuming that they
>can do whatever they want, and everyone else will just have to go along
>with them?

Jim Gettys said, in one of his less oblique postings, that he would get
fix-15 out soon.

>As I said before, I absolutely don't want to be put in the position of
>having to keep two complete, incompatible, copies of Xt around.

The Motif patch is fix-15.  You just got it the fast way.

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (09/26/90)

    Jim Gettys said, in one of his less oblique postings, that he would get
    fix-15 out soon.

Jim Gettys does not work here.  Perhaps you meant someone else.

    The Motif patch is fix-15.  You just got it the fast way.

It is seldom the case that non-MIT people should attempt to speak for MIT.
I don't know for certain that "the Motif patch" will be byte-for-byte
identical to any "fix-15" that we might put out.  I can only think of
one person here at MIT that does know for certain.  Perhaps you asked him,
I don't know.

shap@sequent.COM (Shap Shapiro) (09/26/90)

>       Jim Gettys said, in one of his less oblique postings, that he would get
>       fix-15 out soon.
>
>   Jim Gettys does not work here.  Perhaps you meant someone else.
>
>       The Motif patch is fix-15.  You just got it the fast way.
>
>   It is seldom the case that non-MIT people should attempt to speak for MIT.
>   I don't know for certain that "the Motif patch" will be byte-for-byte
>   identical to any "fix-15" that we might put out.  I can only think of
>   one person here at MIT that does know for certain.  Perhaps you asked him,
>   I don't know.

I think that the important question is not whether or not the things will be
byte-for-byte identical, but rather:

a)  Will there be a "fix-15" patch coming out?

b)  Will it contain fixes for the bugs corresponding to the patches that the
    OSF is supplying with Motif 1.1?

					Shap

            Shap Shapiro                |  Sequent Computer Systems   |
                                        |  15450 SW Koll Parkway      |
 {uunet|ogicse|tektronix}!sequent!shap  |  Beaverton, OR  97006	      |
          shap@sequent.com              |  (503) 526-4158 or 626-5700 |
                                        |  fax (503) 526-7569	      |

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph Swick) (09/26/90)

    a)  Will there be a "fix-15" patch coming out?

Yes.  Real Soon Now.  If only I didn't have to wade through
so d*d much mail/news :-)

    b)  Will it contain fixes for the bugs corresponding to the patches that the
        OSF is supplying with Motif 1.1?

Yes.  The fixes will not be syntactically identical.  As with all
other MIT patches, you will be expected to apply it to a vanilla
MIT tree (with previous MIT patches applied).

Part of the confusion is that the MIT fixes have been available
internally to X Consortium members for several weeks.  The delay
has been partly workload-related and partly to allow for additional
testing time, since there are many more than just the one patch
required by Motif that will be part of the next fix.  Any claims
heard about "already having fix-15" are nonsense; the pieces are
still being gathered together at this very moment.

Back to editing...

-Ralph

vania@osf.ORG (Vania Joloboff) (09/26/90)

>    Jim Gettys said, in one of his less oblique postings, that he would get
>     fix-15 out soon.
>
> Jim Gettys does not work here.  Perhaps you meant someone else.
>
>     The Motif patch is fix-15.  You just got it the fast way.
>
> It is seldom the case that non-MIT people should attempt to speak for MIT.
> I don't know for certain that "the Motif patch" will be byte-for-byte
> identical to any "fix-15" that we might put out.  I can only think of
> one person here at MIT that does know for certain.

Motif 1.1 requires the Xt R4 library from the X Consortium,
with all patches up to *14*.

When running the final regression test suite, the day before making
the tape, OSF found a fatal bug in Xt (note this bug only occurs in
some rather obscure combination of translation table and destroyed
widgets). We also found a fix for that bug. Because it was one day
before release, we could not work it out with MIT and we put the fix
on the Motif tape. This is now rumored as the "osf-fix".

Since release time, we have been working closely on this bug with
Ralph Swick at MIT and it is in progress. MIT has been working on a
more general fix, which fixes the bug not only for Motif, but for
other toolkits as well.

When the fix becomes publicly available from MIT, Motif users
should back-up the osf-fix and replace it with the official MIT fix.

One again:

   Motif 1.1 is compliant to the Consortium R4 Xt specifications.
   Motif 1.1 requires a (fixed) implementation of the R4 Xt Consortium specs.
   Motif 1.1 does not require a specific OSF version of Xt.

	-- Vania Joloboff, Engineering Manager for OSF/Motif.