[comp.windows.x] R4 server for RS1210

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/01/90)

From article <41820@mips.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
> Strictly speaking, unfortunately, our cpp doesn't define a Mips Computer
> Systems specific symbol because our cpp doesn't define *any*... they're
> defined by the command lines in the compiler driver.  However...

Yes, we know that.  Many cpp's don't predefine anything.  *Most* of them
won't someday, I suppose, when ANSI C takes hold.  That doesn't matter.
The X installation documents cover that case.  That's what BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS
is for.  You *still* need some unique symbol for MIPS systems.

> We use RISCOS.  If you consistently use RISCOS, you won't go wrong.  In
> fact, if you use a cpp that defines RISCOS and calls the real cpp, you'll
> do fine too.

ARGHH, NOOO!!  This is not unique.  Heard of Acorn Systems in the UK?
I quote from a comp.windows.x article from a while back (note the date
and you see this issue is not new and has been causing headaches for a
while):
Date: 19 Feb 90 12:04:47 GMT

In article <1608@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <KEITH.90Feb15114346@osage.csc.ti.com>, by keith@osage.csc.ti.com (Keith Sparacin):
>> I am looking for a Mips config file (i.e. mit/config/mips.cf) used to
>> build X release 4 on a Mips M2000 running RISC 4.0.  I only need the
>> client side.  Has anyone already done it?
>
>I think this brings up the question of what the right name would be for
>a config file for MIPS computers.  mips.cf, perhaps, but I propose that
>that is somewhat confusing, since MipsArchitecture gets defined for systems
>other than those by MIPS (e.g., DS3100).  How about riscos.cf, since nobody
>but MIPS uses an OS called RISC/os?  The control block I use in Imake.tmpl
>looks like this:

Not true, we sell an operating system called ``RISC OS'' (NOTE - a space, no
/ character).  The more general question is ``given an operating system/machine
called wombat what special symbol should it defined''.  The answer must be
that that symbol should definately start with two _ characters (or one
and an upper case letter) - because the ANSI (and hence ISO) C standard
reserves these names for the implementation (so, the X code cannot be ANSI
conformant and contain (clashing) symbols which start __ or _[A-Z}, can
it? :-|.  It's a pity you can't put a / in a cpp symbol.  You can't put a
space in either...  Our current (not completely ANSI conformant) products
define:-

	ARM
	arm	(both indicate processor)
	unix	(on UN*X type systems)
	riscos	(on RISC OS systems)

In the future we (currently) intend these to become:-

	__arm
	__unix
	__riscos

I would suggest RISCos (not ANSI conformant) or __RISCos (more ANSI like),
although this breaks the pseudo-standard of using lower case.  The real
problem is the lack of a central registration authority for such symbols
(defining things as ANSI reserved names does not deal with this problem!)

John Bowler (jbowler@acorn.co.uk)

Me [bin] again...
My conventions for my own projects are

	mipsriscos		unique preprocessor symbol (for
				BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS)
	MipsArchitecture	hardware architecture symbol for imake
				templates
	MipsRiscosArchitecture	software architecture symbol for
				templates

Yes, they're ugly.  They're (I think) unique and not likely to be used
on other systems.  Can anyone contradict this?
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (10/01/90)

In article <3201@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>> We use RISCOS.
>ARGHH, NOOO!!  This is not unique.  Heard of Acorn Systems in the UK?
>	riscos	(on RISC OS systems)

Yes, but cpp is case-sensitive.  When we have an ANSI C compiler, we will
use symbols consistent with ANSI.  For now, use RISCOS for Mips, and if
you wish to, riscos for ARM.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421