[comp.windows.x] TeX previewer for OpenWindows?

dna@fredholm.math.psu.edu (Douglas N. Arnold) (09/27/90)

I have recently started using OpenWindows on a Sun SPARCstation and am
in dire need of a TeX dvi file previewer.  I was quite happy with
dvitool under SunView and can run it using the X/NeWS server's
compatibility mode, but that this quite awkward.

What are other people using?  What are my options?   Thanks.
--
Douglas N. Arnold                         dna@math.psu.edu
Dept. of Mathematics, Penn State Univ.    (814) 865-0246

cook@sgi.com (Doug Cook) (09/28/90)

In article <Fd=it#b2@cs.psu.edu> dna@fredholm.math.psu.edu (Douglas N. Arnold) writes:
>I have recently started using OpenWindows on a Sun SPARCstation and am
>in dire need of a TeX dvi file previewer.  I was quite happy with
>dvitool under SunView and can run it using the X/NeWS server's
>compatibility mode, but that this quite awkward.
>
>What are other people using?  What are my options?   Thanks.

I believe OpenWindows comes with a PostScript previewer; the one I've
seen is quite good. You should have the ability to convert your dvi files
to PostScript, since that's what most printers use. Then just preview
the PostScript file.

	-Doug

Doug Cook				|" ...hello honey... i hope i didn't
Video Group, Advanced Systems Division	| wake you up, but i had to hear your
Silicon Graphics, Inc.			| voice... i'm standing in another
Mountain View, CA			| phone booth... somewhere on the

jac@gandalf..llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep27.220249.21156@odin.corp.sgi.com> cook@sgi.com (Doug Cook) writes:

>I believe OpenWindows comes with a PostScript previewer; the one I've
>seen is quite good. You should have the ability to convert your dvi files
>to PostScript, since that's what most printers use. Then just preview
>the PostScript file.

  Pageview does work nicely with the output from dvips, and will even
show psfig figures, of course. However it is not nearly as fast as
using xdvi, one of the available X-based .dvi previewers.

  Jim

James A. Crotinger   Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab // The above views
jac@gandalf.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630     \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259       Livermore CA  94550       \\/ necessarily those of LLNL.

terry@rottie.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (10/02/90)

cook@sgi.com (Doug Cook) writes:

>In article <Fd=it#b2@cs.psu.edu> dna@fredholm.math.psu.edu (Douglas N. Arnold) writes:
>>I have recently started using OpenWindows on a Sun SPARCstation and am
>>in dire need of a TeX dvi file previewer.  I was quite happy with
>>dvitool under SunView and can run it using the X/NeWS server's
>>compatibility mode, but that this quite awkward.
>>
>>What are other people using?  What are my options?   Thanks.

>I believe OpenWindows comes with a PostScript previewer; the one I've
>seen is quite good. You should have the ability to convert your dvi files
>to PostScript, since that's what most printers use. Then just preview
>the PostScript file.

OpenWindows comes with pageview, which is indeed a nice PostScript
previewer.  Unfortunately, it is not as fast as xtex, nor does it have
the capability of going to page n.  If you want to do something as
simple as change the character sizes, you have to edit the PostScript
source.  Not exactly convenient if you don't know PostScript.
PageView also requires that you run xnews instead of the MIT server
and xnews is bigger and slower than the MIT version.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University