[comp.windows.x] problems X11R4/SunOS 4.1 HELP!

djb@cbnews.att.com (David J. Bryant) (09/30/90)

  > Haven't moved up to 4.1 yet, but I've seen this occur where the X libraries
  > from Sun's Open Look stuff are being accessed before the MIT X libraries.
  > Check your paths and enviroment variables (like LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to make
  > sure the shared libraries are being accessed properly.  You can also run
  > an 'ldd' command on each of the X executables( like: ldd xman ) to see which
  > shared libraries it will try to access.

I've seen this message too, and initially took it to mean that the "widget
version 11004 vs. intrinsics version 11003" means the widget is X11R4 and
the intrinsics are X11R3.  However, I'm getting it on a machine with MIT X11R4
and Sun OpenWindows 2.0, which is supposed to be X11R4.  (For example, it
crops up when the MIT X11R4 'xterm' is linked at run time with the OW2.0
libraries.)  Where is the "11003" version identification coming from?  Does
it mean something other than "X11R3"?

                                         UUCP: att!cbosgd!djb
        David Bryant                           att!cborion!djb
        AT&T Bell Laboratories       INTERNET: djb@cbosgd.att.com
        Room 1B-256                            cborion!djb@att.com
        6200 East Broad Street          PHONE: (614) 860-4516
        Columbus, Ohio  43213             FAX: (614) 868-4302

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (10/01/90)

    Where is the "11003" version identification coming from?

It comes from widgets compiled against an Xt/IntrinsicP.h header file
with XT_REVISION set to one value, but linked against an Xt library
that was compiled with XT_REVSION set to a different value.

    Does it mean something other than "X11R3"?

Unfortunately, R4 shipped with XT_REVISION set to 3.  This was corrected
in public fix #10.

    For example, it
    crops up when the MIT X11R4 'xterm' is linked at run time with the OW2.0
    libraries.

Then those libraries were probably compiled with the vanilla R4 header files
(not Sun's fault), but you have since compiled xterm sources against patched
R4 header files.

terry@rottie.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (10/02/90)

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:

>    For example, it
>    crops up when the MIT X11R4 'xterm' is linked at run time with the OW2.0
>    libraries.

>Then those libraries were probably compiled with the vanilla R4 header files
>(not Sun's fault), but you have since compiled xterm sources against patched
>R4 header files.

Does this mean it is safe to ignore these messages when compiling programs
using Athena widgets and the OpenWindows intrinsics?

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University