[comp.windows.x] DECnet Xlib on SunOS ?

db@sunbim.be (Danny Backx) (09/28/90)

Hi all,

I am trying to make my SunOS (with Sun's DECnet option installed) talk X
over DECnet.

The approach I try to use is take one of Sun's demo programs, and try to merge
the connection opening code with the Xlib routine MakeDECnetConnection().

It doesn't seem to work, though.
I have included the relevant code below.

Does anybody have any clues/advice ? I am not very familiar with DECnet
protocols... By the way, this is SunOS 4.0.3c on a SparcStation 1+, with
Sunlink DNI version 6.0.

Thank you,

	Danny Backx
	BIM Networks System Engineer

E-Mail: db@sunbim.be    (or uunet!mcsun!ub4b!sunbim!db)

Telephone: +32(2)759.59.25	Fax : +32(2)759.47.95

Postal Mail :
	Danny Backx
	BIM
	Kwikstraat 4
	3078 Everberg
	Belgium

The code listed here belongs in mit/lib/X/XConnDis.c :

#ifdef DNETCONN
#ifdef sun
static int MakeDECnetConnection (phostname, idisplay, retries,
                                 familyp, saddrlenp, saddrp)
    char *phostname;
    int idisplay;
    int retries;
    int *familyp;                       /* RETURN */
    int *saddrlenp;                     /* RETURN */
    char **saddrp;                      /* RETURN */
{
    int fd;
    char objname[20];
    OpenBlock   opblk;

    if (!phostname) phostname = "0";

    /*
     * build the target object name.
     */
    sprintf (objname, "X$X%d", idisplay);

    /*
     * Attempt to open the DECnet connection, return -1 if fails; ought to
     * do some retries here....
     */
    if ((fd = open("/dev/dni", O_RDWR)) < 0)
        return -1;
    if (ioctl(fd, SES_GET_LINK, 0) < 0)
        return -1;

    *familyp = FamilyDECnet;
    strcpy(opblk.op_node_name, phostname);
    strcpy(opblk.op_task_name, objname);
    opblk.op_userid[0] = '\0';
    opblk.op_object_nbr = 0;
    opblk.op_account[0] = '\0';
    opblk.op_password[0] = '\0';
    opblk.op_opt_data.im_length = 0;

    if (ioctl(fd, SES_LINK_ACCESS, &opblk)) {
        Image16 opt;
        int     i;

        dnierror("Ioctl link access failed");
        ioctl(fd, SES_GET_OPT_DATA, &opt);
        fprintf(stderr, "%d bytes of reject data :", opt.im_length);
        for (i=0; i<opt.im_length; i++)
                fprintf(stderr, " %x", opt.im_data[i] & 255);
        fprintf(stderr, "\n");
        return -1;
    }

    *saddrlenp = 0;
    *saddrp = phostname;
    return fd;
}
#else /* not SUN */
#endif
#endif /* DNETCONN */

jipping@smaug.cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping) (10/01/90)

> I am trying to make my SunOS (with Sun's DECnet option installed) talk X
> over DECnet.
>
> Does anybody have any clues/advice ? I am not very familiar with DECnet
> protocols... By the way, this is SunOS 4.0.3c on a SparcStation 1+, with
> Sunlink DNI version 6.0.

The claim in the SunOS documentation is that OpenWindows is DECNet
compatible BUT starting at Sunlink DNI version 7.0 -- not at 6.0.

      Mike Jipping                        Internet: jipping@cs.hope.edu
      Hope College                          BITNET: JIPPING@HOPE
      Department of Computer Science         Voice: Hey!

sun@bwdls48.bnr.ca (Frank Kannemann Sun SSE) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.123425.23323@cs.hope.edu>,
jipping@smaug.cs.hope.edu (Mike Jipping) writes:
|> > I am trying to make my SunOS (with Sun's DECnet option installed) talk X
|> > over DECnet.
|> >
|> > Does anybody have any clues/advice ? I am not very familiar with DECnet
|> > protocols... By the way, this is SunOS 4.0.3c on a SparcStation 1+, with
|> > Sunlink DNI version 6.0.
|>
|> The claim in the SunOS documentation is that OpenWindows is DECNet
|> compatible BUT starting at Sunlink DNI version 7.0 -- not at 6.0.
|>
|>       Mike Jipping                        Internet: jipping@cs.hope.edu
|>       Hope College                          BITNET: JIPPING@HOPE
|>       Department of Computer Science         Voice: Hey!

HI,

You need a "Jumbo patch for DNI to support this":

Patch-ID#  100107-01
Date:17-Aug-90

SunOS release: 4.0.3, 4.1

Contact you local support office with this info and they should be able to
help you.

I don't know if this is all you need. You may need to run Sun's

"OpenWindows V2.0 product which is the x11news server".

I do know that DNI 6.0 + the DNI patches + Openwindows V2.0 is supposed
support X11 via Decnet.

Good luck I hope this helps!

P.S. I did try to e-mail this directly but was unable to do so.

Frank Kannemann			Sun Microsystems of Canada  Ph: (613) 763-8564
BNR onsite SSE			955 Green Valley Cres
				Ottawa, Ontario Canada
frankk@Canada.sun.com				#include <disclaimer.h>

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with
a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an
idea." - Ancient "stolen" computer saying