[comp.windows.x] Map "Alternate" to "Compose" on Sun 3 keyboard?

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (09/25/90)

Environment:
	Sun 4/110 with cg4 frame buffer
	SunOS 4.0.3
	Type 3 keyboard
	Open Windows 2.0

Since the Type 3 keyboard has no "Compose" key, I would like
to get the same effect with the "Alternate" key.

I can't figure out how to get "xmodmap" to accomplish this.
It seems that the "Alternate" key is unknown to "xmodmap".

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@omni.com

ridge@eng.sun.COM (Ridge McGhee) (10/02/90)

> Article 169 in ba.windows.x:
> From: bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman)
> Newsgroups: alt.sys.sun,ba.windows.x,comp.windows.misc,comp.windows.x
> Subject: Map "Alternate" to "Compose" on Sun 3 keyboard?
> Date: 24 Sep 90 18:41:05 GMT
>
> Environment:
> 	Sun 4/110 with cg4 frame buffer
> 	SunOS 4.0.3
> 	Type 3 keyboard
> 	Open Windows 2.0
>
> Since the Type 3 keyboard has no "Compose" key, I would like
> to get the same effect with the "Alternate" key.
>
> I can't figure out how to get "xmodmap" to accomplish this.
> It seems that the "Alternate" key is unknown to "xmodmap".
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Bob Weissman
> Internet:	bob@omni.com
> UUCP:		...!{apple,decwrl,pyramid,sgi,uunet}!omni!bob

The keycode for Alternate is 26 on the Sun type-3 keyboard.

Since there is no keycode mapping in the keytable for the type-3
keyboard, you need to map at the keycode level.  Create a file
called compose.map and put the following in it: