[comp.windows.x] OpenWindows/Motif Mixed Metaphors?

matsumot@ADS.COM (Michael Matsumoto) (09/21/90)

Does anyone out there in X land have much experience running the Motif
window manager in conjunction with a OpenWindows server?  We have been
instructed to use Motif style, but run applications packages that
currently only come in SunView or OpenLook implementations.  This
seems to me to be at least dangerous, if not just impossible.  Is this
half-hearted compromise feasible?

Thanks.
Mike Matsumoto            | matsumot@ads.com |"X? If it can't be done in
Advanced Decision Systems |                  | Emacs and two buffers, it
Mountain View, CA         |  (415) 960-7453  | doesn't need to be done."

cflatter@ZIA.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) (09/21/90)

> Does anyone out there in X land have much experience running the Motif
> window manager in conjunction with a OpenWindows server?  We have been
> instructed to use Motif style, but run applications packages that
> currently only come in SunView or OpenLook implementations.  This
> seems to me to be at least dangerous, if not just impossible.  Is this
> half-hearted compromise feasible?

This should be possible.  I don't see any reason why running OPEN LOOK
clients under mwm (which I haven't tried) should be any more difficult
than running them under twm (which I have tried) and your SunView
applications will not give a damn what window manager you are using since
they will just blow away X on those parts of the screen they use.

It is not really clear from the above what you mean by using OSF/Motif
style.  If you are developing clients that conform to the OSF/Motif GUI
it would make sense for you to use the Motif window manager, at least while
you are testing and debugging your clients.  If you are not doing development
work and are just running applications, running OPEN LOOK clients under
mwm will not make them Motif style --- they will still be OPEN LOOK clients
but will have Motif window decoration --- but will deny them OPEN LOOK
functionality that requires on the cooperation of the window manager.  In
this case your boss' instructions look pretty dumb.  If the majority of
your applications follow the OPEN LOOK GUI then it doesn't make much
sense to use anything other than an OPEN LOOK window manager (unless
you are a religious fanatic on the subject of window managers).  Similarly,
if the majority of your applications use Motif it makes little sense not to
use the Motif window manager.

			Chris Flatters

jwade@trc.amoco.com (Joe M. Wade) (10/02/90)

In article <9009211608.AA07171@zia.aoc.nrao.edu>,
cflatter@ZIA.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) writes:

|> This should be possible.  I don't see any reason why running OPEN LOOK
|> clients under mwm (which I haven't tried) should be any more difficult
|> than running them under twm (which I have tried) and your SunView
|> applications will not give a damn what window manager you are using since
|> they will just blow away X on those parts of the screen they use.

I agree with the point here, but on the related subject: Is there any
way to tell these other window managers that you would like all OPEN
LOOK pinnable windows to come up full size (as opposed to iconic) ?
I have noticed that if you start any OPEN LOOK application in iconic
mode, this applies to all pinnable windows which that application may
bring up, whether the pin is in or out. Is there any way to get around
this behaviour other than not bringing the application up iconic to
begin with? I have observed this behaviour using both mwm and twm under
OpenWindows2.0 on a SS1+.

*  Joe M. Wade (jwade@trc.amoco.com)         (918) 660-4387    *
*  Amoco Research Center * 4502 E. 41st St. * Tulsa, OK  74102 *
*  Don't shoot me, I'm only the programmer...                  *