[net.news] another

paul@greipa.UUCP (Paul A. Vixie) (05/14/85)

Hello again, boys and girls.  My sometimes responsibile partner in crime
here at greipa managed today to wipe out our active file ("really, paul,
it shouldn't have acted that way").  After the initial cries of rage and
anguish (he lives), I searched for a program among the news source that
would make an active file from the news articles themselves.  Not finding
one, I decided that "there must be one floating around somewhere," but
that we couldn't afford to wait.  The result of this need has been posted
to net.sources as "mkact.c" in case the world needs another version of it...

However, mkact.c is not really the subject of this article (sorry for the
ramble).  In the process of thinking about and testing this utility, I
noticed what could be a problem in the news software... Hope this isn't
"old news" to everyone...

If net.micro is held in /usr/spool/net/micro, and net.micro.432 is held
in /usr/spool/net/micro/432, where will article #432 in net.micro be held?

	Paul Vixie
	{decwrl twg}!greipa!paul

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (05/15/85)

In article <197@greipa.UUCP> paul@greipa.UUCP (Paul A. Vixie) writes:

>If net.micro is held in /usr/spool/net/micro, and net.micro.432 is held
>in /usr/spool/net/micro/432, where will article #432 in net.micro be held?

/usr/spool/net/micro/433.

Yes, seriously.  The article numbers are assigned to articles as they arrive,
and if that particular filename is already in use (as a directory),
inews just picks the next one in sequence.  And I assume (though I haven't
looked) that readnews is clever enough not to try to display the directory
as a news article.

davest@daemon.UUCP (Dave Stewart) (05/16/85)

In article <197@greipa.UUCP> paul@greipa.UUCP (Paul A. Vixie) writes:
>If net.micro is held in /usr/spool/net/micro, and net.micro.432 is held
>in /usr/spool/net/micro/432, where will article #432 in net.micro be held?

	Let's assume that net.micro.432 (the newsgroup) already exists when
article 431 of net.micro is posted.  When the next net.micro article gets
localized, the link() to the file named "432" will fail returning EEXISTS
and the news software will try to link the article to "433" which should
succeed.

	I don't know as much about what the newsreading interfaces do if
they get to an article file that is really a directory.  Maybe just check
to see that it's a regular file first.

	[Sorry to post this to the net - I thought it to be generally
useful information.]

--
David C. Stewart                          uucp:    tektronix!davest
Small Systems Support Group               csnet:   davest@TEKTRONIX