[comp.windows.x] CC compiling of X11 under SunOS 4.1

sinclair@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Duncan Sinclair) (10/02/90)

Disillusioned by the head-aches of compiling X11R4 with gcc,
I have decided to go back to good `ol `cc' for a new build
of X.

I have heard that with the right optimisation flags, `cc' can do
a better job than `gcc', but that Sun's optimiser was broken in some
places, and so I couldn't use the same optimisation level through-out
the whole of X.

Does any-one know the details of this, and whether anything has changed
with the advent of SunOS 4.1 & the latest fixes upto fix-17 for X?

This would be for all current flavours of Sun - 3, 4, and 386 (ack!).

Thanks tons,

--
Duncan Sinclair                     |  Try one    sinclair@cs.glasgow.ac.uk
Computing Science Research Student  |  of these:  sinclair@uk.ac.glasgow.cs

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (10/03/90)

In article <6457@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> sinclair@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Duncan Sinclair) writes:
>Disillusioned by the head-aches of compiling X11R4 with gcc,
>I have decided to go back to good `ol `cc' for a new build
>of X.
>
>I have heard that with the right optimisation flags, `cc' can do
>a better job than `gcc', but that Sun's optimiser was broken in some
>places, and so I couldn't use the same optimisation level through-out
>the whole of X.
>
>Does any-one know the details of this, and whether anything has changed
>with the advent of SunOS 4.1 & the latest fixes upto fix-17 for X?
>
>This would be for all current flavours of Sun - 3, 4, and 386 (ack!).

I am unable to comment on Sun3 hardware.  And there is, to my knowledge, no
SunOS greater than 4.0.2 for the 386i.

I have compiled the *entire* R4 (fix-1 - fix-18) distribution at -O4 under
SunOS 4.1.  Several compiler fixes referenced in the OS release notes
compile all the source, whereas one or two modules (in Xt or Xaw if I
remember correctly) would not, with the 4.0.3 compiler.

The one problem I have observed in seven plus months, running the server
under xdm (server compiled -O4) with "DisplayManager*terminateServer: True"
the server dumps core when the .xsession finishes.  I have since compiled
with debugging on, but have been unable to duplicate the problem.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Stirring up trouble again.