[comp.windows.x] RE X windows on PCs - Who has the best ??

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) (10/04/90)

From: exl@proteon.COM (Eugene X. Lummelsky)

>	1. releasing alpha versions of QuarterDeck's Desqview/X, which
>can run both, DOS and X Window applications, on either a PC or an X
>Window workstation. (213)392-9851

  Define "releasing".  This product is not for sale and won't even
  be in *beta* until later this year.  Quarterdeck expects to
  actually put it on the market for sale in 1991.   They are only
  allowing certain CURRENT selected Desqview API users (which I
  am not) to even be beta sites for this product.

>	2. shipment of XVision 3.0 (Microsoft Windows-based X
>server)-from UniPress Softweare, Edison, N.J.(201)985-8000, $449.00.
>Unlike Desqview/X it can not run DOS applications on Unix workstation.
>Basic requirements: 80286 min., Microsoft Windows (v.286, or 386
>version 2.0 or later).
>There is also PC-XView from GSS (503)641-2455, $295 (cheap, isn't
>it?). This one is just an emulator of XWindow System, v.11. Too cheap
>to be true.

  Both of the above products are X TERMINAL products.  There is no
  X-client functionality or means of developing X app's.   At the
  risk of being tiresome, I've made it clear that I wanted to buy
  software for my PC which would provide client AND server, function-
  ality such as I already have on any UNIX workstation, IF SUCH A
  THING EXISTS!    I want to be able to *write* X apps and then *run*
  them on a PC and *display* them on a PC.

                                                  ---Peter