[comp.windows.x] X11 on a cgsix device

david@eng.sun.com (you talk like a person who has never heard of duct tape) (10/05/90)

In article <272@jabberwock.shs.ohio-state.edu>
zaka@borogove.shs.ohio-state.edu (Zaka Bhatti) writes:
> I trying to get X11 to work on our Sparc station 1  with a cgsix device.
> X11 comes up but the window is slightly shifted to the right and a
> little to the top. If I move the mous left the pointer moves right
> and then appears on the left of the screen.

Wow, it's been a while since anyone's asked this...

From: david@eng.sun.com (sometimes my arms bend back)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Re: Color Frame Buffer Problem and X11R4 Server

In article <9005311716.AA28403@xenon.lcs.mit.edu> keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU
(Keith Packard) writes:
>Make sure you build the server using the same revision of SunOS as you will be
>running on the clients -- the header files which describe the frame buffer
>structure changed when the SparcStation came out.

If anyone really cares, the problem is that the SunOS 4.0.3 version of
<sundev/cg6reg.h> defines some mmap offsets in terms of NBPG (the page
size of the machine you're compiling on (more or less)), which is bad
because the SS-1 has a different page size than Sun-3s and other Sun-4s
(4K instead of 8K).  The 4.0.3c and 4.1 versions of this include file
correctly define the mmap offsets, which are the same on all systems.

> One more thing, How do I make my color Sun4(cgtwo) act as mono in
> X11.

RTFM: Xsun -mono

--
David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  david@eng.sun.com

jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (10/06/90)

Zaka Bhatti <zaka@borogove.shs.ohio-state.edu> asks:

	I am trying to get X11 to work on our Sparc station 1 with a
	cgsix device.  X11 comes up but the window is slightly shifted
	to the right and a little to the top. If I move the mous left
	the pointer moves right and then appears on the left of the
	screen.

David DiGiacomo talks about <sundev/cg6reg.h>, but neglects to talk
about the other "problem" this guy is having -- the warping.  I ran
into this only yesterday, when someone got an IPC around here.  It
turns out that if the /dev entries exist for other, non-attached frame
buffers, the server tries to map them anyway.  Removing all but the
actually attached framebuffer and display gets you back to the
non-wrapping display.

Cool, huh?

/jordan