[net.news] form feeds in postings

wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (wa371) (05/22/85)

I have heard various readers complain about the annoyance of form feeds
or control-L's in netnews postings.  Now recently the system that I am on
has begun to add form feeds automatically to anything that I post to the
newsnet.  What is going on here??

Bernd <bear-nd>
(Not affiliated with, nor speaking for U.C. San Diego)
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc
            *** hooray for USENET ***

muller@sdcc3.UUCP (Keith Muller) (05/22/85)

In article <318@sdcc12.UUCP>, wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (wa371) writes:

> I have heard various readers complain about the annoyance of form feeds
> or control-L's in netnews postings.  Now recently the system that I am on
> has begun to add form feeds automatically to anything that I post to the
The control-L's are not in the article itself. Several versions of readnews
attempt to prevent the printing of the next articles header from causing
the end of the previous article from scrolling off the screen. This is done
by using the fact that when more sees a control-L in the first column it goes
into the pause mode (it acts as if a screenful has been reached). However more
makes the decision to display the control-L as a ^L in addition to pausing.
There are two ways around this. Either remove the lines from readr.c that add
the control-L right before closing the pipe to more (and have the header scroll
off the article body), or go into more.c and remove the code that displays
the control-L in addition to the pause.
	Keith Muller
	University of California

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/26/85)

>From: wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (wa371)
>
>I have heard various readers complain about the annoyance of form feeds
>or control-L's in netnews postings.  Now recently the system that I am on
>has begun to add form feeds automatically to anything that I post to the
>newsnet.  What is going on here??
>
>Bernd <bear-nd>
>(Not affiliated with, nor speaking for U.C. San Diego)

Your statement about the form feeds being added by your system cannot be
true. (At least, they did not make it to our system.)
My guess is that your site has changed its news software.

Form feeds (control-L's ) usually are added to an article by the poster
himself. It is done to take advantage of a quirk in more, which forces a
new 'more' upon encountering a form feed. Most often, the trick is used to
delineate material which may be offensive or is a "spoiler" of a movie,
etc.

The complaints usually come from people running other pagers on certain
terminals. It seems, regretably, that some terminals do a "clear screen"
upon receiving a control-L.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764