[comp.windows.x] The OpenLook mailing list

wicks@AIS1.BAL.MMC.COM (Anthony B. Wicks) (10/04/90)

In the XView 2.0  release documentation "rtf.text" thers is mention of an
OpenLook mailing list.  This doc goes on to say:

      Those who are not Sun customers or would like to participate in
      conversations with other people using XView, can take advantage of
      public news groups and email aliases.  Existing groups are listed below:

      1) openlook@unify.unify.com

      Unify is sponsoring an OPEN LOOK developers alias.  This is for anyone using
      an OPEN LOOK toolkit such as XView.  To join or leave this alias send a
      request to openlook-request@unify.unify.com or ...!unify!openlook-request.

Here's the problem.  I can't find unify.unify.com on the net.  nslookup
won't find it, even if I use uunet.uu.net as the nameserver.  Did this list
disapear along with the machine or has the host changed or what.

Someone in the know, please give me the scoop.  Inquiring minds want to
know.

--Tony
____________________________<Anthony B. Wicks, Jr>______________________________
Staff Engineer, Martin Marietta Aero & Naval Systems, Software Department
Local MMA&NS Email: wicks@mst1.bal -- 301-682-2883 (Desk) 301-682-0975 (Lab)
          INTERNET: wicks@mst1.bal.mmc.com

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (10/04/90)

In article <9010032025.AA08415@ais1.bal.mmc.com>, wicks@AIS1.BAL.MMC.COM
(Anthony B. Wicks) writes:

> In the XView 2.0  release documentation "rtf.text" thers is mention of
an
> OpenLook mailing list.  This doc goes on to say:

>       Those who are not Sun customers or would like to participate in
>       conversations with other people using XView, can take advantage
of
>       public news groups and email aliases.  Existing groups are
listed below:

>       1) openlook@unify.unify.com
>
>       Unify is sponsoring an OPEN LOOK developers alias.  This is for
anyone using
>       an OPEN LOOK toolkit such as XView.  To join or leave this alias
send a
>       request to openlook-request@unify.unify.com or
...!unify!openlook-request.

> Here's the problem.  I can't find unify.unify.com on the net.
nslookup
> won't find it, even if I use uunet.uu.net as the nameserver.  Did this
list
> disapear along with the machine or has the host changed or what.

I've not seen this document, but the correct addresses for requests to
join
the list are:

	openlook-request@unify.com
	...!uunet!unify!openlook-request
	...!csusac!unify!openlook-request
	...!pyramid!unify!openlook-request

--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

jac@gandalf..llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (10/05/90)

  Our nameserver can't find unify.com either. Could you post the
IP address?

  Jim

James A. Crotinger   Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab // The above views
jac@gandalf.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630     \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259       Livermore CA  94550       \\/ necessarily those of LLNL.

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (10/06/90)

In article <69312@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, jac@gandalf..llnl.gov (James
Crotinger) writes:

>   Our nameserver can't find unify.com either. Could you post the
> IP address?

Unfortunately, we are not on the internet, so your name servers will
not be able to find us.  Unify.com is one of those mail aliases main-
tained by uunet.

The UUCP addresses for the Open Look Mailing List subscriptions are:

	...!{uunet | pyramid | csusac}!unify!openlook-request

If unify.com is in your mail maps, messages will be sent to us via
uunet.

------

terry@rottie.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) (10/06/90)

jac@gandalf..llnl.gov (James Crotinger) writes:

>  Our nameserver can't find unify.com either. Could you post the
>IP address?
You need to look for a MX record not an A record.  Unify is not
on the internet.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University