[net.news] Could we have summaries of net.announce.newusers articles?

jack@boring.UUCP (05/20/85)

Every once in a while, I see an article in net.announce.newusers
which has been changed recently, according to the text at the top.
Now, I would like to see the changes that have been made, but I don't
feel like reading the whole 200 line story for the umpteenth time,
and not knowing what changed when I reach the end.

My question: Would it be feasible to post a summary of the
changes to "standard" articles?

--
	Jack Jansen, jack@mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (05/28/85)

In article <6418@boring.UUCP> jack@mcvax.UUCP (Jack Jansen) writes:
>Every once in a while, I see an article in net.announce.newusers
>which has been changed recently, according to the text at the top.
>Now, I would like to see the changes that have been made, but I don't
>feel like reading the whole 200 line story for the umpteenth time,
>and not knowing what changed when I reach the end.
>
>My question: Would it be feasible to post a summary of the
>changes to "standard" articles?

I post those articles every month.  I have it largely automated now
with a bunch of shell and "sed" scripts to do the posting for me.
The articles don't change often enough to justify me posting a
"diff" each time, and the process would take enough time manually
as to be a pain to support (I'm supposed to be working full-time on
my PhD thesis research, not supporting the net).  Anyone wishing to
come up with a reasonable set of scripts to post an understandable
summary of changes based on modification times is welcome to do so
and mail it to me.
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332