[comp.windows.x] X11R4 and openwin on sun ss1 running 4.1

chucks@SNE42N.ORL.MMC.COM (10/06/90)

 We have been running X1R4 on 4.1.
 yesterday I installed the openwins 2.0 tape from sun.
 I pub the opewin directory before the X11 directory in my search
 path so I will pick up the new clients from sun before the X11R4
 versions.

 Now my old clients die complaining of a widget mismatch and suggest
 a recompilation.

 so I changed the makefile so that the includes are first taken from the
 openwin directory. and the libraries are taken from the openwin first.
 I also set up my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point first to the openwin directory.
 and recompiled the client. I used xcalendar as a test.

 I still get the error. What do I need to do to get the X11 clients not
 supplied by sun to coexists with the sun supplied ones.

chuck strickland                    chucks@iplmail.orl.mmc.com
Martin Marietta Electronic Systems  407-356-5909 FAX 407-356-5651

stolcke@icsib12.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (10/06/90)

In article <9010051747.AA18477@theopolis.orl.mmc.com> chucks@SNE42N.ORL.MMC.COM writes:
> Now my old clients die complaining of a widget mismatch and suggest
> a recompilation.

Don't use the Xt library in the OpenWindows distribution. One of the MIT
patches to libXt introduced a version check, which has widgets checking the
intrinsics version upon initialization.  Probably you recompiled libXaw
against that new libXt, and now all the Athena widgets expect an R4 intrinsics
and complain when the unpatched libXt from Openwindows is linked at run time.

BTW, relying on a properly set LD_LIBRARY_PATH seems like a bad idea.
Instead you can link the appropriate libraries into /usr/local/lib,
where they will be found by default.

Andreas Stolcke
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU
1957 Center St., Suite 600, Berkeley, CA 94704	(415) 642-4274 ext. 126