[net.news] case sensitive names

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) (05/23/85)

[argh]
	There are two different sites named 'cfib' and 'cfiB' !?
	Also olympus and Olympus.

	Paths are:
...ihnp4!ima!cfib!
...ihnp4!masscomp!sii!cfiB!
...ihnp4!dual!olympus!
...ihnp4!vax135!Olympus!

I don't think case-sensitive sitenames should be encouraged.
I mean, what is this, 'C' or something?

Merlyn Leroy

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (05/29/85)

i use the -i flag in pathalias to eliminate these potential ambiguities.
	peter

dbr@cybvax0.UUCP (Douglas Robinson) (05/29/85)

In article <612@digi-g.UUCP> brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) writes:

>	There are two different sites named 'cfib' and 'cfiB' !?
>	Also olympus and Olympus.
>
>	Paths are:
>...ihnp4!ima!cfib!
>...ihnp4!masscomp!sii!cfiB!
>...ihnp4!dual!olympus!
>...ihnp4!vax135!Olympus!

This sort of thing should be VERY discouraged.  Uppercase sitenames can
cause all sorts of trouble.  We currently talk to a site that has two
uppercase letters and three lowercase letters and a number in their
name.  When mail to them from elsewhere on the net was returned by my
machine I was asked to look into the problem.  It seemed that somewhere
in the path that the sender was using, a site was LOWERCASING the entire
path so that when it got to my site, sendmail rejected it since we don't
talk to any site by the ALL LOWERCASE name.  I found another path that
the sender could use and haven't heard about the problem since then.

It would be nice if ALL sites would upgrade their software to fix such
problems, but until they do, users will still have problems when trying
to communicate with UnUsUaL SitENaMes.

Having two sites that differ only by case distinct names only furthur
aggrevates the situation.
--
Doug Robinson		Jobs don't kill programmers... programmers kill jobs!

617/492-8810		...!{mit-eddie, harvard, mirror}!cybvax0!dbr

arash@jendeh.UUCP (Arash Farmanfarmaian) (05/31/85)

> [argh]
> 	There are two different sites named 'cfib' and 'cfiB' !?
> 	Also olympus and Olympus.
>
> 	Paths are:
> ...ihnp4!ima!cfib!
> ...ihnp4!masscomp!sii!cfiB!
> ...ihnp4!dual!olympus!
> ...ihnp4!vax135!Olympus!
>
> I don't think case-sensitive sitenames should be encouraged.
> I mean, what is this, 'C' or something?
>
> Merlyn Leroy

	Looks like its my night to bitch on the net. It has been caused by
 on overindulgeance in champagne, to celebrate the end of the school year in
 Princeton. Any way, even though I just bitched about the use of Fortran and
 even Basic (arghhhhh!!) on UNIX, I still think I should pick a bone of
 contention with Merlyn. Pascal ( at least some of you people out there must
 have heard about it ) IS case sensitive ( at least I have always seen
 it as such) and I do believe that 'C' should be so too. At least variable
 names and site names should be so. I am not going to profess any love for
 Pascal based languages ( especially after having worked on a stupid version
 called TPL, which is marketed by Texas Instrument ). Nonetheless I do believe
 that case sensitivity, especially in a non-programming-language context like
 news is worth it.

				Arash Farmanfarmaian'85

 P.S.: On this machine e-mail has NOT been re-directed to /dev/null. So any
 flames are welcome. But do expect them to be answred with venom. And just to
 fuel to fire let me say something else. I think APL is a viable programming
 language ( don't bother flamming on this one, unless you have tried to
 implement any algorithm involving loops, WITHOUT LOOPING in APL, and have
 succeeded. For your information there is an argument running around the
 Civil Engineering Department here to the effect that any algorithm can be
 implemented without looping in APL. No one has been able to prove this; but
 after sucessfully implementing the 'shortest path', 'any path' and a version
 of the 'traveling salesman' problem without any looping, in APL, I believe
 this assertion
--
Arash Farmanfarmaian
...!allegra!princeton!jendeh!arash

		"Any man who lives within his means suffers from a lack of
		imagination"

arash@jendeh.UUCP (Arash Farmanfarmaian) (05/31/85)

> i use the -i flag in pathalias to eliminate these potential ambiguities.
> 	peter

	Sorry Peter. I have difficulty groking your last posting. The only
 pathalias I know off is the 'pathaliases'-related one. Can you drop another
 hint in this direction?

				Arash Farmanfarmaian'85
--
Arash Farmanfarmaian
...!allegra!princeton!jendeh!arash

		"Any man who lives within his means suffers from a lack of
		imagination"

johnl@ima.UUCP (06/03/85)

Sites "cfib" and "cfiB" are in fact the same site, and the all lower case
name is the true one.  They changed their name about a year ago exactly
because some mailers (including the one at ima, for reasons that make it
complicated to change) do not distinguish case.

The two [Oo]lympuses I couldn't say, but while we're discussing poorly
chosen site names, I have to nominate site "x" at CRDS.  Evidently it's
supposed to be an internal name only, but its name escapes in news all the
time.

John Levine, ima!johnl