[net.news] rn adding newsgroups

netnews@cuae2.UUCP (Netnews Admin) (05/31/85)

I have seen numerous occasions where rn 4.3 will dump core with
SIGSEGV while or just after adding new newsgroups and using "L"
and a number to specify the location of the addition.  A stack
trace from sdb follows.  Has anybody else seen this?  We are
running SVR2 on an AT&T 3B2.  Thanks.
----- sdb stack trace begin -----
malloc(15)   [malloc.c]
safemalloc(size=15)   [util.c:87]
add_newsgroup(ngn=)   [rcstuff.c:361]
get_ng(what=,do_reloc=^A )   [rcstuff.c:288]
newlist(munged=^A ,checkinlist=^@ )   [addng.c:89]
initialize(argc=1,argv=0xc00202b0)   [init.c:195]
main(argc=1,argv=0xc00202b0,-1073610056)   [rn.c60]
----- sdb stack trace end -----
--
Ron Heiby	cuae2!netnews	/app/eng
AT&T Information Systems, Lisle, IL 60532

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/04/85)

In article <303@cuae2.UUCP> netnews@cuae2.UUCP (Netnews Admin) writes:
>I have seen numerous occasions where rn 4.3 will dump core with
>SIGSEGV while or just after adding new newsgroups and using "L"
>and a number to specify the location of the addition.  A stack
>trace from sdb follows.  Has anybody else seen this?  We are
>running SVR2 on an AT&T 3B2.  Thanks.

  I have seen a lot of rn crashes due to SIGSEGVs with the old rn.
I haven't seen any crash since I installed rn 4.3. The crashes were all on
a call to malloc (probably due to some string allocated via malloc being
overwritten and garbling the pointers malloc() and free() use).
  I was never able to pinpoint the problem since by the time it core dumped
it was too late (the actual error happened much sooner).
  It frequently crashed when using the "K" command. It would say "Badly
compiled pattern" and coredump.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell