From: donn@utah-cs
Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
Subject: re: re: attacks on "Lord of Light"
Date: 5 Jun 85 10:17:39 GMT
Sender: [control character garbage edited]#! rnews 2240

The planet Uranus is now orbiting the sun in the same plane as the
[130 lines more, including multiple articles. sigh]
--
:From the misfiring synapses of:                  Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

The offices were very nice, and the clients were only raping the land, and
then, of course, there was the money...

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/08/85)

In article <2816@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Someone is garbaging news occasionally. This is the third occasion of this
>that I have seen in the last month or so. We get most of the header of an
>article, some garbage, and then an rnews batch attached to it. WIll people
>upstream on the noted path look around and see if they can find who is
>doing this?

Rick found the message to be garbaged at seismo. Assuming it left utah-cs
safely, that means that it is either columbia or topaz. Are either of those
TCP based links, by any chance?

chuq
--

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (06/09/85)

> Someone is garbaging news occasionally. This is the third occasion of this
> that I have seen in the last month or so. We get most of the header of an
> article, some garbage, and then an rnews batch attached to it. WIll people
> upstream on the noted path look around and see if they can find who is
> doing this?
>
> chuq
> -----

> Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
> Subject: re: re: attacks on "Lord of Light"
>
> The planet Uranus is now orbiting the sun in the same plane as the
> [130 lines more, including multiple articles. sigh]

  Interesting. The article with that message ID appears on the hao system
intact, and does not start with the line about Uranus. I'd guess the problem
is then the transfer from hao to hplabs or hplabs to nsc.

--Greg
> --
> :From the misfiring synapses of:                  Chuq Von Rospach
> {cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA
>
> The offices were very nice, and the clients were only raping the land, and
> then, of course, there was the money...

{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/10/85)

From seismo!utah-cs!donn Sun Jun  9 00:14:37 1985

ARPAnet articles reposted by topaz (a Pyramid at Rutgers U) tend to
contain garbage in the Sender header field...  I've noticed this before
but it hasn't seemed to cause any problems in the past.  Here's what
the header of the damaged article looked like at Utah (I passed it
through 'cat -v' so that similar problems don't arise with mail!):

From: donn@utah-cs
Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 85 04:17:39 MDT
Sender: M-@^L0M-p$M-^?M-lPM-@A@topaz.ARPA

Maybe the sender name is correct, but it is given in YSCII (the Yuggoth
Standard Code for Information Interchange),

Donn

-----
What seems to be happening is that the ARPA->usenet link at Topaz has a
minor problem, and is putting garbage (probably an uninitialized field) in
for the Sender. Some piece of software down the line seems to be aborting
because of this, causing the garbage. If topaz could track down that
garbage, that would be great, but I don't understand why some sites would
throw up on that thing  -- I checked my source and don't see any reason
offhand why that would happen. Perhaps it is somewhere in the transfer
mechanism, either in the sendbatch/unbatch of csendbatch/cunbatch setup
somewhere.

sigh.

chuq