[comp.windows.x] Postscript previewer under X

chic@mel.dit.csiro.au (Chris Ching) (10/04/90)

I just wonder whether there is any other postscript previewer. To me, xps is
not really good. I would like to have a better postscript previewer under X.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.
--
Chris Ching, DIT, CSIRO, | Open Communications Program                   |
55 Barry st, Carlton,    | (TEL) +61 3 347 8644   (g3FAX) +61 3 347 8987 |

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/05/90)

> I just wonder whether there is any other postscript previewer. To me, xps is
> not really good. I would like to have a better postscript previewer under X.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I, too, and looking for just such a tool.  Seems like someone who knows how
will need to write one for our needs to be met.  Here are features I'd like
to see:

1.  Ability to override the pixel size relationship, so that I can see what
    actual dots would be plotted on my 300dpi printer instead of what has to
    be plotted on my 75dpi (or whatever) X terminal.  Since this would result
    in magnification of the image, the window should be a port to a virtual
    window with H and V scrollbars.

2.  Both forward AND BACKWARD page buttons, to go between different pages.
    Bitmaps of previous pages should be kept to some specifiable maximum.

3.  An option to tell the previewer to watch for the .ps file to be updated,
    and rerun it when it is, automatically.  A rerun button should be there
    in either case.  Additional features could have it look at other files
    for changes, and run programs that convert to .ps when THEY change, such
    as for .dvi files for TeXies.  It would be nice to be able to have an
    edit window and a preview window, and the preview window reruns each
    time I make a file save from the edit window.

--Phil Howard, KA9WGN-- | Individual CHOICE is fundamental to a free society
<phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> | no matter what the particular issue is all about.

jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (10/05/90)

In article <22700017@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>1.  Ability to override the pixel size relationship, so that I can see what
>    actual dots would be plotted on my 300dpi printer instead of what has to
>    be plotted on my 75dpi (or whatever) X terminal.  Since this would result
>    in magnification of the image, the window should be a port to a virtual
>    window with H and V scrollbars.

Pageview (supplied with OpenWindows 2.0) does this nicely, although it
won't show you the results of 300dpi halftoning.  It would be a fairly
trivial modification if you had the source, although it shouldn't be
the default.

>2.  Both forward AND BACKWARD page buttons, to go between different pages.
>    Bitmaps of previous pages should be kept to some specifiable maximum.

This is only reasonable if the PostScript document conforms to the
Adobe Document Structuring Conventions (and it's still not easy unless
they interpret it in a nice way :-)).  Making the bitmap-caching
scheme work on arbitrary PS would require a healthy, loving
relationship between the interpreter and the user interface (offhand,
the only interpreters I know of that are mature enough for this are
Display PostScript and NeWS).

>3.  An option to tell the previewer to watch for the .ps file to be updated,
>    and rerun it when it is, automatically.

Ick.  How will it know when the updating process is finished?  For
something like a DVI converter, it could take several minutes to
completely update the file, and if I'm currently looking at page
thirty when the previewer notices that the file has been overwritten
by the first 4K of the new version, I'll be very unhappy.

  Your other idea (having the previewer run one or more programs that
produce a PostScript file to use as input) is more practical.

>    A rerun button should be there in either case. ... It would be
>    nice to be able to have an edit window

Pageview does both of these, although the editor is a bit primitive.
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (10/06/90)

>> I just wonder whether there is any other postscript previewer. To me, xps is
>> not really good.

Try the newer version, "ralpage".  There's a tar file for it on expo.  Try also
ghostscript 2.0, the [sigh] GNU postscript previewer.

>1.  Ability to override the pixel size relationship, so that I can see what
>    actual dots would be plotted on my 300dpi printer instead of what has to
>    be plotted on my 75dpi (or whatever) X terminal.

Beware that PostScript devices define their own transfer functions, so without
intimate knowledge of your specific printer, you can't always know exactly what
dots will be plotted.  Certainly, though, a blowup feature would give you a
better idea of how the dots will come out on a printed page, albeit in an
cumbersomely large window.

--

mh2620@sarek.sbc.com (Mark Horstman [314-235-3417]) (10/08/90)

In article <JGREELY.90Oct5054556@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu>, jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) writes:

|> Pageview (supplied with OpenWindows 2.0) does this nicely, although it
|> won't show you the results of 300dpi halftoning.  It would be a fairly
|> trivial modification if you had the source, although it shouldn't be
|> the default.

But pageview will only run under the OpenWindows 2.0 server right?

mh2620@sarek.sbc.com

jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (10/09/90)

In article <106894@convex.convex.com> datri@convex.com
 (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>Beware that PostScript devices define their own transfer functions,
>so without intimate knowledge of your specific printer, you can't
>always know exactly what dots will be plotted.

Adobe supplies PPD (PostScript Printer Description) files for most or
all real PostScript printers, available from the mail-server.  Among
other things, these contain the default halftone settings and transfer
function.  Damn handy.
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

fgreco@dprg-330.GOVt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (10/11/90)

> In article <JGREELY.90Oct5054556@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu>, jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) writes:
>
> |> Pageview (supplied with OpenWindows 2.0) does this nicely, although it
> |> won't show you the results of 300dpi halftoning.  It would be a fairly
> |> trivial modification if you had the source, although it shouldn't be
> |> the default.
> |>

> But pageview will only run under the OpenWindows 2.0 server right?

Yes.  It uses the NeWS features of the X/NeWS merged server to do the
Postscript rendering.  It does not run in a X only environment.

Try xps, ralpage or ghostscript for an X only environment.

Frank G.