 From: alex@ucla-cs.UUCP
 Newsgroups: net.flame
 Subject: Re: What people look for in MOTAS
 Date: 5 Jun 85 08:21:38 GMT

Some child did this previously to route inappropriate messages into
net.micro.mac, and here we go again. I'm sending this to net.abortion
and net.lang.pascal so readers of those lists will know what's going on.
net.flame is there because I'm pissed off (you asshole!). net.news is
there because I think something should be done about this kind of behavior.

Should the software make it more difficult to use the Followup-To
line? I'm not so sure that's a good idea. For example, I'm using
it here for its intended purpose - so discussions of this message
won't appear in net.abortion and net.lang.pascal. Should a certain person
be thrown off the net? That may be a little severe. Any suggestions?

I expect to get several flames from people asserting their right
to act childish and have the net pay for it.

I hope this message won't do more harm than good. I can see it now;
soon all the children will be doing Followup-To tricks.

> Lucky for us the quarter ends soon and your class account goes away.
>
> Alex

With any luck, your account will go away as well, along with you. Jerk!
--
Joe Buck		Entropic Processing, Inc. (epi)
	  		{ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!epicen!jbuck

pete@kvvax4.UUCP (Peter J Story) (06/12/85)

> net.flame is there because I'm pissed off (you asshole!). net.news is
> there because I think something should be done about this kind of behavior.
> Joe Buck                Entropic Processing, Inc. (epi)
>                        {ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!epicen!jbuck

Before you, and others like you, start criticising (however valid the
criticism might be) I suggest you read the net etiquette article.
Offensive language on a world wide basis is hardly very productive.
Pete Story	      {decvax,philabs}!mcvax!kvport!kvvax4!pete
A/S Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk, PO Box 25, N3601 Kongsberg, Norway
Tel:  + 47 3 739644   Tlx:  71491 vaapn n

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (06/13/85)

> In an incredible display of maturity, Alex Quilici of UCLA put a Followup-To
> line that will send all followups to his message to net.abortion and
> net.lang.pascal. Here's the offending header:

Well, just for the record.  He did it again, this time to net.auto
and net.motss.  So people, beware of this guy (or boycott his postings
so that he can play somewhere else).
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) (06/17/85)

> From: pete@kvvax4.UUCP (Peter J Story)
> Date: 12 Jun 85 15:51:35 GMT
>
> > net.flame is there because I'm pissed off (you a******!). net.news is
> > there because I think something should be done about this kind of behavior.
> > Joe Buck                Entropic Processing, Inc. (epi)
> >                        {ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!epicen!jbuck
>
> Before you, and others like you, start criticising (however valid the
> criticism might be) I suggest you read the net etiquette article.
> Offensive language on a world wide basis is hardly very productive.
> --

You're right. I sincerely apologize for foul language in lists other than
net.flame; I was angry at the time and didn't think. To anyone I offended,
I'm sorry (in the original message I spelled out a******, but I don't
think there was any other offensive language).

But this cretin (alex@ucla-cs.UUCP) has done a lot more than I first
realized. In almost every message he posts now, he changes the Followup-To
and Reply-To fields. He seems to do the latter to bother other people
at ucla-cs; yesterday someone posted a complaint about inappropriate
messages in net.micro.trs-80; these also were generated by him.

Because these are followups from net.flame, he's doing a lot more than
me to spread offensive language all over the world.

On a related topic, there's a very offensive discussion that started on
toilet paper usage, but that has gotten a lot more disgusting, that's
being posted to both net.flame and net.women. Similar things have happened
in the past. It seems we need a mechanism to isolate net.flame traffic
from other lists.

How about having netnews software insert a 'Followup-To: net.flame' whenever
any of the original newsgroups is net.flame, and not allowing any other
followup-to line? Lots of times people who are angry about some point
raised in a different newsgroup respond both to that newsgroup and net.flame.
Then the net.flamers see it, and respond with a followup both to net.flame
and to the original list, usually in a much more offensive manner than
the original posting. If it's a hot topic, the original list will be
swamped in flames. That's what's happened to net.women; in the last two
weeks it was the highest volume group because of this (in part).

Because most sites won't change their software, we might want relay sites
to modify received messages in this way before passing them on.

Until we do something like this, will the net.flamers please check to
see what newsgroups the message is going to when they post a followup?
If you want to be crude, obnoxious, and disgusting, fine, but keep it
in net.flame or else rot13 it.