[comp.windows.x] Attempting to interpret X application error msg

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (10/09/90)

A non-technical user at my site is trying to start up an X application.
He is getting the following error msg:

  X Error:  BadValue, integer parameter out of range for operation
  Request Major code 1 ()
  Request Minor code
  ResourceID 0x3c
  Error Serial #226
  Current Serial #253

How would I go about finding out what the problem is with this, without
access to the source code of the application?
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/09/90)

In article <9010091448.AA03485@lilac.berkeley.edu>, lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
|>   X Error:  BadValue, integer parameter out of range for operation
|>   Request Major code 1 ()

Major code 1 is a CreateWindow request.  BadValue is probably caused by
an invalid.  The default window size is often 0 x 0, which is invalid.
Try checking your geometry resources to make sure the window size is
set to something.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (10/11/90)

> A non-technical user at my site is [...] getting the following error
> msg:

>  X Error:  BadValue, integer parameter out of range for operation
>  Request Major code 1 ()
>  Request Minor code
>  ResourceID 0x3c
>  Error Serial #226
>  Current Serial #253

> How would I go about finding out what the problem is with this,
> without access to the source code of the application?

Well, my first comment would be something along the lines of "what are
you doing running it if you don't have source to it", but that's more
evangelistic than helpful.

If the binary has been stripped, about your only choice is to use
something like xscope to follow the protocol requests and replies.
Major request 1 is CreateWindow; there are a great many things that
could be causing a BadValue error from CreateWindow.

If the binary hasn't been stripped, you can get more information with a
debugger.  Patch the _Xdebug variable to non-zero and set a breakpoint
at exit.  Then when the program dies ask for a stack trace.  Under adb,
for example,

	% adb somexprog
(Setting a breakpoint at main is necessary on Sun release 4 due to a
bug[%] in the shared libraries implementation, or perhaps in adb: adb
thinks __Xdebug doesn't exist until the program has started.)
	_main:b
	:r
	breakpoint	_main:		<some instruction here>
	__Xdebug/W 1
	__Xdebug:		0x0	=	0x1
	_exit:b
	:c
... X error message here
	breakpoint	_exit:		<some instruction here>
	$c

and the stack trace should give you some idea what's wrong.

[%] I hold it to be a bug.  I doubt Sun thinks so - which to my mind is
    a problem with Sun.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

jerry@sky.slhisc.shearson.com (Jerry Liebelson) (10/12/90)

> A non-technical user at my site is [...] getting the following error
> msg:

>  X Error:  BadValue, integer parameter out of range for operation
>  Request Major code 1 ()
>  Request Minor code
>  ResourceID 0x3c
>  Error Serial #226
>  Current Serial #253

Every time we have experienced a BadValue XError, it was due to a font
path problem.  I can't recall the actual Major and Minor Codes that we
got to be sure, but I suggest you try doing "xset q" and look at the
current font path.  Check whether the application you are using expects
to find special fonts in a directory not presently listed by the xset
command.

If that's the case, make sure the font path is being set with "xset fp+" in
your .xinitrc or equivalent file.  If so, make sure that fonts.dir file
was made and is uptodate in the font directories passed to xset.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

(Note: We generally run X11R4/Motif but I recall having the error with
OpenWindows also.)
--
        (** MY SENDMAIL CONFIG NEEDS WORK, PLEASE REPLY USING ONLY ------|
         Jerry Liebelson                   uunet!slcpi!slhisc!jerry   <--|