[comp.windows.x] OpenLook and Motif

tiefel@islsun.Kodak.COM (Lenny Tiefel) (10/10/90)

Why won't applications built with the Motif
widget set work with Sun's OpenLook Window
system? In other words, what is there about
OpenLook that does not conform with the
X standard?

 -----------------        Len Tiefel
|  ___  ________  |       Eastman Kodak Company
| |  / /        | |       Research Laboratories
| | / /         | |       Imaging Science Laboratory
| |< < K O D A K| |       Rochester, NY 14650
| | \ \         | |       (716) 722-2250 FAX (716) 722-0160
| |__\ \________| |       email:   tiefel@kodak.com
|                 |       Standard disclaimers apply
 -----------------

"The reason angels can fly is that
 they take themselves so lightly."

cook@sgi.com (Doug Cook) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct10.133345.4906@kodak.kodak.com>,
	tiefel@islsun.Kodak.COM (Lenny Tiefel) writes:
>Why won't applications built with the Motif
>widget set work with Sun's OpenLook Window
>system? In other words, what is there about
>OpenLook that does not conform with the
>X standard?

OPEN LOOK is a GUI (user interface) specification, not a window
system. There is nothing about it that doesn't "conform" to the X standard,
since the OPEN LOOK spec is independent of what window system it's implemented
upon. I assume you mean OpenWindows, not OPEN LOOK.

What doesn't work? Be specific. Which version of OpenWindows are you
running? What window manager? I haven't seen any significant problems
with OpenWindows running X programs.

	-Doug

Doug Cook				|" ...hello honey... i hope i didn't
Video Group, Advanced Systems Division	| wake you up, but i had to hear your
Silicon Graphics, Inc.			| voice... i'm standing in another
Mountain View, CA			| phone booth... somewhere on the

cflatter@ZIA.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) (10/11/90)

>	Why won't applications built with the Motif
>	widget set work with Sun's OpenLook Window
>	system? In other words, what is there about
>	OpenLook that does not conform with the
>	X standard?

Try and be a little more specific: I have run Motif applications on an
RS/6000 with a SPARCstation running OpenWindows as the display without
any difficulty (apart from the inferior GUI on the IBM applications ;-)).

			Chris Flatters

>Why won't applications built with the Motif
>widget set work with Sun's OpenLook Window
>system?

At times, I've thought any question that simply asks why something
"doesn't work", or, say, a bug report that simply says something
"doesn't work", should simply be ignored, as there are many possible
failure modes, and in order to answer the question or fix the bug, you
have to determine *which* failure mode is being exhibited.  However, I'm
in a good mode today, so I'll just ask:

	What do you mean by "won't ... work"?

In other words, what is it not doing?

>In other words, what is there about
>OpenLook that does not conform with the
>X standard?

Perhaps nothing.  If the problem is that certain Motifisms don't work,
and you're running, say, "olwm" or "twm", it may be that the Motifisms
in question require "mwm"; there exist private protocols that the Xm
toolkit and "mwm" use, and that Open Look toolkits and window managers
use, to implement some features of their respective looks-and-feels.
Those are not (yet) part of any X standard.

masa@hpsciz.HP.COM (Masayoshi Habu) (10/12/90)

I have a SPARCstation with OpenWindows 2 on which a couple of OPENLOOK-based
applications (like SUN's file manager) and a Motif-based application (called
IC-CAP) running together. So I don't see any major problems in using two
different GUI applications except for remembering two styles :-(

The difference comes in to play when one of the applications communicates
with a "window manager". A window manager is just another X application,
but both OPEN LOOK and Motif provides their own window manager to manipulate
X clients which is built on the toolkit. As you know, there are OPEN LOOK
toolkit and Motif toolkit in this world.

So my Motif application dies when I try to expand its window with the "Full"
window menu provided by the OPEN LOOK window manager (olwm). But this is a
minor problem that I can avoid because I don't need to expand it really.

Masa Habu