[comp.windows.x] More Xview questions.....

kbj@JUPITER.RISC.COM (Ken Johnson) (10/12/90)

Thanks to Chris Flattery (I think I spelled it right) I have managed to get
my stuff running.

New question:  I have a panel and a canvas.  The panel and the canvas are not
the smae sizes so there is a region of the frame that doesn't actually
contain anything.  This area is white.  How do I color it the same as my
frame background so that it looks better.  I understand that the CMS`
allocates the first few color cells for the colors used in the resource
data base referred to as OpenWindows.WIndowColor.  How do I access this color
directly or indirectly?  Once I know where and what it is how do I change it
in the XView application?

Thanks yet again.....

cflatter@ZIA.AOC.NRAO.EDU (Chris Flatters) (10/12/90)

Ken Johnson writes:

> I have a panel and a canvas.  The panel and the canvas are not
> the smae sizes so there is a region of the frame that doesn't actually
> contain anything.  This area is white.  How do I color it the same as my
> frame background so that it looks better.

Ken should not need to set the colour on the spare space (indeed I am at
something of a loss as to how that could be done).  There are two possibilities
that might give rise to what is described here.

In the first case the canvas is wider than the panel.  This will occur if
the WIN_FIT_WIDTH attribute is set on the panel.  The solution is not to
set it.  The panel will then extend the full width of the frame with the
buttons left justified in the panel and the canvas immediately below.

In the second case the panel is wider than the canvas.  The easiest solution
is just to make sure than the canvas is wider than the value of the panels
XV_WIDTH attribute.  If, for some reason, this is not possible (eg. the
application requires a canvas of fixed size) it should be possible to fill
in the gap using a second panel with no controls attached.

			Chris Flatters