[comp.windows.x] X windows for NeXT?

jefu@nmt.edu (Jeff Putnam) (10/13/90)

This may well have been answered in the frequently asked questions
posting, but that has expired here and I didnt keep a copy.

Is X windows available for the NeXT machine?  Specifically for the
new line of NeXTs?

--
jefu@jupiter.nmt.edu  -- Jeff Putnam, New Mexico Tech, Socorro, NM

chouw@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct12.170540.25029@nmt.edu> jefu@nmt.edu (Jeff Putnam) writes:
>Is X windows available for the NeXT machine?  Specifically for the
>new line of NeXTs?

I have a of XNeXT from athena.mit.edu.  Pretty good stuff.  At least I
can use the NextStep apps. the same time when I run X apps on other
SparcServer.  It's very easy to install, except that you have to run twm
explicitily.  I don't know why the startx do not work, and why the XNeXT
did not read my .xinitrc file.

Don't forget turn on the right button and good luck!

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (10/13/90)

> Is X windows available for the NeXT machine?

There is an R3 port to the old '030 two-bit grayscale cube, but it's
available in binary form only (I'm told it uses some sort of
proprietary something-or-other) and it doesn't let clients access two
of the shades of gray (it presents a one-bit StaticGray visual to
clients).  I don't know where this one can be obtained from.

There is an R4 port to the same machine, done by yours truly, which is
currently in late alpha (ie, it should go into beta soon).  I would
like to have it ready for general release by the end of October, but
that's a hope rather than a commitment.

I understand there is a commercial-quality port underway, but as I am
not involved in that I have no information on it.  Perhaps someone who
is involved can volunteer some information.

> Specifically for the new line of NeXTs?

If and when I get my paws on a new-line machine, I plan to do a similar
port to them as well.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu