[comp.windows.x] Looking for PicTeX-like tool for X11

tim@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Tim Mikkelsen) (10/12/90)

I'm looking for an X11 version (or something like it) of a thing called
PicTeX.  This is a Mac application that allows you to draw simple lines,
graphics, text and produce TeX/LaTeX output to use inside your TeX
documents.  Does anybody know of anything like this?

Tim Mikkelsen

tim@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Tim Mikkelsen) (10/16/90)

For those people interested....

>I'm looking for an X11 version (or something like it) of a thing called
>PicTeX.  This is a Mac application that allows you to draw simple lines,
>graphics, text and produce TeX/LaTeX output to use inside your TeX
>documents.  Does anybody know of anything like this?

I've gotten responses pointing me to xfig.

M.Dobie@ecs.soton.ac.uk writes:

	Xfig uses its own file format but it comes with several filters to
	convert its files to other formats, one of which is Pictex macros.
	These can be directly \inputted into the LaTex document.

	Pros:   diagram text matches the rest of the document (same font etc)
		allows LaTex maths markup in the text in your diagram
		can be previewed on screen (by xdvi for example)

	Cons:   a complicated diagram takes a while to latex.

	xfig is available by anonymous ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.212)

Thanks for the responses