[comp.windows.x] How can I get the cursor pixmap for the root window?

opsy047@ucscl.UCSC.EDU (10007047) (10/12/90)

I'm writing an utility that changes the cursor pixmap for the
root window.  Initially the program should display the current
root window cursor in a button, but I can't seem to get access
to the cursor's pixmap.  The best I can do is to get the cursor's
ID thru the window's property, but a cursor ID ain't a pixmap ID.

help!

wing

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (10/16/90)

> I'm writing an utility that changes the cursor pixmap for the root
> window.  Initially the program should display the current root window
> cursor in a button, but I can't seem to get access to the cursor's
> pixmap.  The best I can do is to get the cursor's ID thru the
> window's property, but a cursor ID ain't a pixmap ID.

As far as I can tell there is absolutely no way to find out what a
given cursor looks like, except possibly for the very special case of
the default root cursor, and even that involves some unpleasant
assumptions.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

kieron@root.co.uk (Kieron Drake) (10/17/90)

In <9010152347.AA25518@Larry.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU writes:

>> I'm writing an utility that changes the cursor pixmap for the root
>> window.  Initially the program should display the current root window
>> cursor in a button, but I can't seem to get access to the cursor's
>> pixmap.  The best I can do is to get the cursor's ID thru the
>> window's property, but a cursor ID ain't a pixmap ID.

>As far as I can tell there is absolutely no way to find out what a
>given cursor looks like, except possibly for the very special case of
>the default root cursor, and even that involves some unpleasant
>assumptions.

>					der Mouse

>			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
>			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

Absolutely right. You can't even do horrible things like warp the
pointer to a particular place and use XGetImage to "snap" that bit of
the screen. Cursors don't show up anywhere! Mind you, given the
plethora of cursor implementations about, in hardware, software or both,
it's understandable but a pain.

	kieron

	Kieron Drake
MAIL:	kieron@root.co.uk
SNAIL:	UniSoft Ltd, Saunderson House, Hayne Street, London EC1A 9HH
PHONE:	+44 71 315 6637 (direct) +44 71 315 6600 (switchboard)