[comp.windows.x] Dialogs in XView 2.0

kbj@JUPITER.RISC.COM (Ken Johnson) (10/16/90)

It doesn't appear that there is a dialog box in XView.  Is there anyone who
can tell me what the 'standard' practice for creazting this type of functionality is?  It would seem that a comand frame is created, then a panel, and then
the items in the panel.  Is this correct?  Also, I'm reading that the
default panel can be attached to the command frame.  What does this mean?

Ken Johnson                             Phone: 805-373-4487
Rockwell International Science Center   Comnet: 273-4487
1049 Camino Dos Rios A-18               e-mail: kbj@risc.com
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

       If enough data is collected
                     anything may be proven by statistical methods....

cook@sgi.com (Doug Cook) (10/17/90)

In some article, kbj@JUPITER.RISC.COM (Ken Johnson) writes:
> It doesn't appear that there is a dialog box in XView.  Is there anyone who
> can tell me what the 'standard' practice for creazting this type of
> functionality is?

The XView "notice" package provides simple dialog boxes.

	-Doug

Doug Cook			       |"'Why _don't_ you have another
Video Group, Advanced Systems Division | girlfriend?' I asked him; he shrugged.
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		       |'WELL, SHE DOESN'T BEAT ME UP ALL THE"
Mountain View, CA		       | TIME,' Owen said."

fgreco@dprg-330.GOVt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (10/17/90)

> It doesn't appear that there is a dialog box in XView.  Is there anyone who
> can tell me what the 'standard' practice for creazting this type of functionality is?  It would seem that a comand frame is created, then a panel, and then
> the items in the panel.  Is this correct?  Also, I'm reading that the
> default panel can be attached to the command frame.  What does this mean?

	But of course there's a "dialog box" in XView.  As you state,
	you would create a FRAME_CMD, which comes with a default PANEL
	obtain-able via:

		popup_panel = (Panel)xv_get(popup_frame, FRAME_CMD_PANEL);

	...or you could create your panel(s) if you wish.  Now you just
	add your control-panel items, i.e., PANEL_TEXT, PANEL_BUTTON,
	PANEL_LIST...etc.  Add some notify procs for the panel items,
	and you got it.

	BTW, its much easier to do the UI layout if you use Sun's GUIDE.

	Frank G.

fgreco@dprg-330.GOVt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (10/17/90)

> > It doesn't appear that there is a dialog box in XView.  Is there anyone who
> > can tell me what the 'standard' practice for creazting this type of
> > functionality is?
>
> The XView "notice" package provides simple dialog boxes.

	Beware that the "notice" package is currently *blocking*...
	ie, it grabs all input to the server.  I suggest using FRAME_CMD's.

	Frank G.

tomj@snowking.Eng.Sun.COM (Tom Jacobs) (10/18/90)

In article <9010161521.AA14212@jupiter.risc.com>, kbj@JUPITER.RISC.COM
(Ken Johnson) writes:

|> It doesn't appear that there is a dialog box in XView.  Is there
anyone who
|> can tell me what the 'standard' practice for creazting this type of
functionality is?  It would seem that a comand frame is created, then a
panel, and then
|> the items in the panel.  Is this correct?  Also, I'm reading that
the
|> default panel can be attached to the command frame.  What does this
mean?

|> Ken Johnson                             Phone: 805-373-4487
|> Rockwell International Science Center   Comnet: 273-4487
|> 1049 Camino Dos Rios A-18               e-mail: kbj@risc.com
|> Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
|>
|>        If enough data is collected
|>                      anything may be proven by statistical
methods....

There are two paths for dialog boxes.  The simplest method is to use
the
XView NOTICE facilities [notice_prompt()].  The other method for
creating
more interactive dialogs is to used FRAME_CMD objects and manager the
dialog
on your own.  Take a look at the explanations in the O`Reilly XVPM.

---
Tom Jacobs				ARPA: tomj@Eng.Sun.com
Windows & Graphics Software		UUCP: sun!tomj
Sun Microsystems, Inc.