[comp.windows.x] xterm app-defaults file

hakda@nokia.se (H}kan Danielsson) (10/15/90)

In article <YEE.90Oct13131639@pmax14.osf.org> in group comp.windows.x.motif
yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:

>> I have just installed mwm, and I noticed that when I'm using mwm, the
>> xterm menus shrink down to little boxes, while the font stays the
>
>	This is not a Mwm bug.  It sounds like you have not installed the
>	R4 Xterm app-defaults file.  The size of the R4 xterm menu defaults to
>	too small.  The R4 app-defaults file fixes this.

I have the same problem as the original writer. Where can I obtain
"the R4 Xterm app-defaults file"?

Thanks for any help.

--
Hakan Danielsson		hakda@nokia.se

converse@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (10/15/90)

> I have the same problem as the original writer. Where can I obtain
> "the R4 Xterm app-defaults file"?

In the source tree, along with the rest of the xterm source code, in
the file clients/xterm/XTerm.ad.  Each application which has one of these
files supplies it along with the rest of the source, in a file name
ending in .ad.  When installed, the proper filename is with the .ad
removed.  These application defaults files may have been installed
incorrectly or not installed at all.  Conventionally, the application
defaults files are installed into the directory /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults.
Perhaps something in the configuration software failed to do this properly
when X was installed on your machine.

Donna Converse

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.085341.28684@nokia.se>, hakda@nokia.se (H}kan Danielsson) writes:

|> >	This is not a Mwm bug.  It sounds like you have not installed the
|> >	R4 Xterm app-defaults file.  The size of the R4 xterm menu defaults to
|> >	too small.  The R4 app-defaults file fixes this.

I didn't see the above article, but I don't think this is correct.
I just removed my XTerm app-defaults file, and I don't set any geometries
in my own resources, and xterm works completely reasonably.

On the other hand, if one has a line like

	XTerm*geometry:		80x30

in their .Xdefaults file (or whatever means they use to set resources),
the xterm menus will be 80x30 *pixels*.  The proper geometry resource
to set is XTerm*VT100.geometry, which is the geometry of the VT100
widget, and not "all xterm widgets that need geometry".

--
...David Elliott
...dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

vincent@cetia110.cetia.fr (Vincent Chuffart) (10/18/90)

Problem: getting undersized xterm menus in R4 (Font is correct).

You may also encounter the same problem with a correct app-default file.
In your .Xdefaults file, if you had something like:

xterm*geometry:        80x24

in R3, this geometry (interpreted as colunms x lines) only applied to the text
area of xterm. BUT, in R4, menus are made of widgets too, and the previous
resource line matches also for the menus. Then you get 80x24 pixels menus.

In R4, you should use:

xterm*vt100.geometry:        80x24

And the menus will keep default sizes.

P.S: man xterm(1) is the second man page to read after man X(1), it also
contains a lot of useful info.