[comp.windows.x] Network services

black@yoyodyne..westford.ccur.com (Sam Black) (10/18/90)

In article <2274@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> etaylor@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Eric Taylor) writes:
> The X api operates using the network services calls.  Any X program
> will make these calls.

Not true.  Only some implementations use the network service calls.  An
efficient implementation might have bypass methods if the client and server
are on the same machine (depending on the machine and O/S architecture).
The network service calls in "acm" appear to provide the client access to
the acm server, not the X server.

		- sam

Once you remove the absurdity from human existence, there isn't much left.
		     __________
		    /  _______/__	...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!black
		   /__/______/  /	black@westford.ccur.com
	  Concurrent /_________/
	Computer Corporation

etaylor@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Eric Taylor) (10/19/90)

In article <61273@masscomp.ccur.com>, black@yoyodyne..westford.ccur.com (Sam Black) writes:
|> In article <2274@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> etaylor@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Eric Taylor) writes:
|> > The X api operates using the network services calls.  Any X program
|> > will make these calls.
|>
|> Not true.  Only some implementations use the network service calls.  An
|> efficient implementation might have bypass methods if the client and server
|> are on the same machine (depending on the machine and O/S architecture).
|> The network service calls in "acm" appear to provide the client access to
|> the acm server, not the X server.
|>
|> 		- sam

I was under the impression that the network services were "smart" enough
to figure out that you were talking to your own machine and use the cheapest
method available for talking bewteen 2 processes on the same machine.

If this is indeed the case, why would an X implentation try to bypass this by
re-inventing the wheel.
--
					Eric Taylor
					Baylor College of Medicine

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (10/19/90)

>>> The X api operates using the network services calls.  Any X program
>>> will make these calls.
>> Not true.  Only some implementations use the network service calls.
>> An efficient implementation might have bypass methods if the client
>> and server are on the same machine [...].
> I was under the impression that the network services were "smart"
> enough to figure out that you were talking to your own machine and
> use the cheapest method available for talking bewteen 2 processes on
> the same machine.

> If this is indeed the case, why would an X implentation try to bypass
> this by re-inventing the wheel.

Primo: Not all network implementations are that intelligent.  (Though
  nearly so by now, one hopes.)

Secundo: The cheapest method available for talking between 2 processes
  does not necessarily fit the network IPC model well enough for the
  network code to transparently map the calls.  For example, a shared
  memory segment may be the optimal method, but that doesn't fit the
  byte-stream model the network calls use, so there's no way for the
  network implementation to pretend to be a network connection but
  really give the speed that could be attained by using a shared memory
  segment (plus perhaps a semaphore or some such for signaling).

Tertio: The cheapest method available at the point at which it is
  noticed that the connection is a loopback is not necessarily the
  cheapest available.  For example, a UNIX domain connection may be
  faster than a "loopback" Internet domain connection, because the
  Internet connection has to go through all the TCP code.  The
  semantics are slightly different and the implementation of the
  Internet domain connection is in no position to decide that the
  program isn't going to depend on the difference, though in the case
  of X it isn't.

Note that none of the above is *necessarily* true anywhere.  However, I
feel sure that for each of the above there is somewhere a system for
which it is valid, and for some I know of such systems.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu