[comp.windows.x] Contool 2.0 on Sun4's

proot@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) (10/19/90)

Hi,
	I pulled contool 2.0 off the net a few weeks ago and compiled it with
out problem on the Sun3 (running 3.5 4.0.3 and 4.1). But when I try to
compile it on a Sparc, linking give me this error:

cc -O  -o contool contool.o contool_ui.o error.o expand.o filters.o load.o load_
icon.o logging.o misc.o parse.o props.o regexp.o store.o window_misc.o -L/usr/li
b -lX11 -lolgx -lxview
ate; rerun ranlib(1)
ld: Undefined symbol
   _icon_load_svrim
*** Error code 2
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `contool'

I checked libxview.a and libxview.so.2.0 and icon_load_svrim is there.
I tried to compile/link it statically, and I get a bunch more missing
functions (libolgx is dynamic only, or something).

Anybody hit this problem? Anybody got a solution?

BTW, contool is a great program, at least on the Sun3.

Thanks,
	Paul.

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct19.120457.21239@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, proot@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:
> 	I pulled contool 2.0 off the net a few weeks ago and compiled it with
> out problem on the Sun3 (running 3.5 4.0.3 and 4.1). But when I try to
> compile it on a Sparc, linking give me this error:
>
> cc -O  -o contool contool.o contool_ui.o error.o expand.o filters.o load.o load_
> icon.o logging.o misc.o parse.o props.o regexp.o store.o window_misc.o -L/usr/li
> b -lX11 -lolgx -lxview
> ate; rerun ranlib(1)
> ld: Undefined symbol
>    _icon_load_svrim
> *** Error code 2
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `contool'

     First off, you must be talking about version 3.0, since 2.0 is a
SunView application.

     The first thing I noticed was that you have the libraries backwards
on your linking command.  You should use "-lxview -lolgx -lX11".  You might
also check why one of those archives is out of date, and run ranlib on it.
Finally, I would check the X installation on your Sun-4.  Is it OpenWindows
or X11?  Does everything live where it is supposed to?

> BTW, contool is a great program, at least on the Sun3.

     Glad you like it!

--

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck

A good newspaper is never good enough,
	but a lousy newspaper is a joy forever.		-- Garrison Keillor

smarks@eng.sun.COM (Dick Deadeye) (10/20/90)

maverick.ksu.ksu.edu!proot@rutgers.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:
| cc -O  -o contool {lots of .o files} -L/usr/lib -lX11 -lolgx -lxview
| ld: Undefined symbol
|    _icon_load_svrim

The libraries aren't in the right order on the link line.  They must be in
the following order:

	-lxview -lolgx -lX11

I'm not 100% sure that this is causing your problem, but getting the
libraries in the right order should help a lot.

Your message also contained a fragment of a message:

| ate; rerun ranlib(1)

This looks like the part of the message

    warning: table of contents for archive is out of date; rerun ranlib(1)

It's unlikely that this is causing your problem.  But you should probably
rerun ranlib on the libraries, if only to get ld to shut up.

s'marks

Stuart W. Marks			ARPA: smarks@eng.sun.com
Windows & Graphics Software	UUCP: sun!smarks
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct19.120457.21239@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, proot@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Paul T. Root) writes:

|> Hi,
|> 	I pulled contool 2.0 off the net a few weeks ago and compiled it with
|> out problem on the Sun3 (running 3.5 4.0.3 and 4.1). But when I try to
|> compile it on a Sparc, linking give me this error:
|> [....]

We're running Contool *3.0* (from expo) without problems.  Maybe it's just
the order of libraries that screwed things up in your case.  Try:

	-lxview -lolgx -lX11

--
Andreas Stolcke
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU