[net.news] Stolen Modem

walters@drutx.UUCP (WaltersS) (06/04/85)

Whoever borrowed a 212 Modem (US Robotics Ser# 18546) please return
to Room 31M54 at Denver site.  I will be forever grateful to not have
to report this to security!!!

seth@megad.UUCP (Seth H Zirin) (06/06/85)

> <2939@drutx.UUCP>:
> Whoever borrowed a 212 Modem (US Robotics Ser# 18546) please return
> to Room 31M54 at Denver site.  I will be forever grateful to not have
> to report this to security!!!

This appears to be a PERFECT example of when a *distribution* of *local*
should have been used but wasn't.
Name:	Seth H Zirin
UUCP:	{decvax, ihnp4}!philabs!sbcs!megad!seth

Keeper of the News for megad

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (06/06/85)

> Whoever borrowed a 212 Modem (US Robotics Ser# 18546) please return
> to Room 31M54 at Denver site.  I will be forever grateful to not have
> to report this to security!!!

(I'm sorry, I'm sorry!!!!  I'll never, ever do it again, I promise!!!
I'll take a plane right now, fly down to Denver, and hand myself over
to "security"!)

You should be grateful we're not reporting YOU to the usenet security.
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/07/85)

In article <2939@drutx.UUCP> walters@drutx.UUCP (WaltersS) writes:

>Whoever borrowed a 212 Modem (US Robotics Ser# 18546) please return
>to Room 31M54 at Denver site.  I will be forever grateful to not have
>to report this to security!!!

I can say with some degree of confidence that the missing modem is not in
Santa Clara. Unfortunately, the message about it is...

--
:From the misfiring synapses of:                  Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

The offices were very nice, and the clients were only raping the land, and
then, of course, there was the money...

dave@elecvax.OZ (Dave Horsfall) (06/11/85)

Why is the report of a stolen modem going out all over the world?
Can't stuff like this be restricted to the place of origin or
something?
--
Dave Horsfall			 ISD: +61 2 438-1266
Lionel Singer Group		 STD:  (02) 438-1266

craigb@ipso.OZ (Craig Bevins) (06/13/85)

Psssst ...

Very well travelled US Robotics 212 Modem going cheap here.
_____________

Craig Bevins.
Ionospheric Prediction Service.
Department of Science.			Phone:	+61 2 269 8621
P.O. Box 702,				Telex:	AA20663 IPSO
Darlinghurst.  N.S.W.  2010.
Australia.

ACSnet:		craigb@ipso.oz
UUCP:		{decvax,vax135,eagle,pesnta}!mulga!ipso.oz!craigb

biep@klipper.UUCP (06/14/85)

In article <1294@elecvax.OZ> dave@elecvax.OZ (Dave Horsfall) writes:
>Why is the report of a stolen modem going out all over the world?
>Can't stuff like this be restricted to the place of origin or
>something?

Of course not. That's the only place where it certainly is *not*.
It's stolen, you know?
--
							  Biep.
	{seismo|decvax|philabs|garfield|okstate}!mcvax!vu44!klipper!biep

	Some mazes (especially small ones) have no solutions.
							-- man 6 maze

west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) (06/21/85)

In article <1294@elecvax.OZ> dave@elecvax.OZ writes:
>Why is the report of a stolen modem going out all over the world?
>Can't stuff like this be restricted to the place of origin or
>something?
>--
>Dave Horsfall
>AUSTRALIA

I think there is a problem of naming.   What does "net.news" suggest
to you?   Perhaps a name like "net.news.grungy-details" would better
convey the topic of this newsgroup.
--

Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science
(USA+619-)452-6220		UC San Diego (mailcode C-015) [x6220]

dave@runx.OZ (Dave Horsfall) (06/24/85)

    >>Why is the report of a stolen modem going out all over the world?
    >>Can't stuff like this be restricted to the place of origin or
    >>something?
    >>Dave Horsfall
    >>AUSTRALIA

    >I think there is a problem of naming.   What does "net.news" suggest
    >to you?   Perhaps a name like "net.news.grungy-details" would better
    >convey the topic of this newsgroup.
    >Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science

We just need to keep in mind that net.* goes all over the WORLD.  At the
risk of starting a meta-discussion (?), articles about pinched modems
really should be local e.g. newsgroup "general" or something.
--

sml@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (06/24/85)

In article <904@sdcsla.UUCP> west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) writes:
>In article <1294@elecvax.OZ> dave@elecvax.OZ writes:
>>Why is the report of a stolen modem going out all over the world?
>>Can't stuff like this be restricted to the place of origin or
>>something?
>
>I think there is a problem of naming.   What does "net.news" suggest
>to you?   Perhaps a name like "net.news.grungy-details" would better
>convey the topic of this newsgroup.
>--
>Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science

Have you never heard of DIS-TRI-BU-TION?  Its intent is to limit the
geographical (rather than logical) distribution of articles.  Its use
is perfect for something like this.  Being a smartass doesn't help.

bill@persci.UUCP (06/26/85)

>    >>Why is the report of a stolen modem going out all over the world?
>    >>Can't stuff like this be restricted to the place of origin or
>    >>something?
>    >>AUSTRALIA
>We just need to keep in mind that net.* goes all over the WORLD.  At the
>risk of starting a meta-discussion (?), articles about pinched modems
>really should be local e.g. newsgroup "general" or something.

One slight (related) problem is that the latest version of 'rn' doesn't
prompt for distribution. In fact, it behaves as if such a thing didn't
exist, outside of a line in the header. Our old 'postnews' at least prompted
for it, which reminded the user about it. I am afraid that our new news-readers
here won't learn about distributions, if they use 'rn'.

--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (06/27/85)

In article <203@persci.UUCP> bill@persci.UUCP writes:
>One slight (related) problem is that the latest version of 'rn' doesn't
>prompt for distribution. In fact, it behaves as if such a thing didn't
>exist, outside of a line in the header.

Gee, the latest version of 'rn' that I am using, which I took straight
as it came off the net, prompts for a distribution in the 'Pnews'
command.  This is what one would normally use for posting a new message
(as opposed to a followup).  Maybe whoever installed 'rn' on your system
disabled this question?

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

bill@persci.UUCP (07/01/85)

>>One slight (related) problem is that the latest version of 'rn' doesn't
>>prompt for distribution. In fact, it behaves as if such a thing didn't
>>exist, outside of a line in the header.
>Gee, the latest version of 'rn' that I am using, which I took straight
>as it came off the net, prompts for a distribution in the 'Pnews'
>command.  This is what one would normally use for posting a new message
>(as opposed to a followup).  Maybe whoever installed 'rn' on your system
>disabled this question?
>=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
OK. Pnews does prompt. I was thinking of replies to messages that had no
distribution set, or are they getting removed? I've seen a *lot* of articles
that didn't have any specific distributions specified. Perhaps 'rn' could
ask, in this case..?

--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill