[comp.windows.x] XView

marcos@oravax.UUCP (M. Marcos Lam) (07/06/89)

Is XView available now?  If it is, would someone please tell me where can I ftp
it?  If it is not available, does anyone know when will it be available?

On a related topic, can someone tell me where can I get info related to Open
Look?

Thanks in advance.

Marcos
------

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (07/07/89)

In article <978@oravax.UUCP> marcos@oravax.UUCP (M. Marcos Lam) writes:
| Is XView available now?  If it is, would someone please tell me where can I ftp
| it?  If it is not available, does anyone know when will it be available?

XView is Sun's toolkit for use with View2, their merged Sunview/X11
server. It is not yet available, and will be sold by Sun, I believe.
I don't think it will be PD...
-Miles

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (07/08/89)

> XView is Sun's toolkit for use with View2, their merged Sunview/X11 server.

XView is a toolkit, developed by Sun, that has a SunView application
programming interface and an Open Look look and feel.  It will work with any X
server, not just X11/NeWS.

> It is not yet available, and will be sold by Sun, I believe.

Sun has said several times that they plan to contribute XView to the MIT
release.  Steve Messina at Sun has asked me to pass on his name to anyone who
would like to obtain a beta copy of XView.  His phone number is 415-336-2017.

> I don't think it will be PD...

Not public domain, but publicly available.  Just like all of the rest of the
software on the MIT tapes.

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (07/08/89)

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>XView is Sun's toolkit for use with View2, their merged Sunview/X11
>server. It is not yet available, and will be sold by Sun, I believe.
>I don't think it will be PD...

Arrgghh.... How many times do we have to watch the same old misinformation
get posted?

XView is an almost SunView-compatible toolkit that uses something very
similar to the SunView API to implement Open Look window semantics on
top of X11.  In days past, the XView toolkit was sometimes called View2.

View2 is NOT the name of the merged NeWS/X11 server.  In fact, I don't
think I've ever *heard* an official name applied to it, except for the
Open Windows rubric that covers the server, toolkit(s), etc.

XView is being donated to MIT for inclusion on the X11R4 tape.  It will
be freely and publicly available to everyone.  No royalties or anything
(which is more than you can say for Motif at the moment!  A good move
by Sun...)

Now, just to make sure that I'm not guilty of propagating my own brand
of misinformation, will someone from Sun PLEASE repeat the Official Party
Line?
--
 Matt Landau			Oblivion gallops closer,
 mlandau@bbn.com		    favoring the spur, sparing the rein.

ozkan%irl4@UUNET.UU.NET (Mehmed Ozkan) (09/25/89)

 We want to install XView into our
 Sun stations at Vanderbilt University.

 Could you please tell us the procedure?

 Thanks.

 Mehmed Ozkan
 Box 6652/B
 Nashville, TN 37235
 615-322-7269

 ozkan@vuse.vanderbilt.edu

gilley@ndl.COM (Greg Gilley) (10/24/89)

Does anyone know how I can create a shelltool without leaving room for the
@#$&!&# scrollbars?  I've tried setting OPENWIN_ADJUST_FOR_VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR
(whew!) to FALSE, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Any clues
and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
					Thanks,
					    Greg
  Greg Gilley
  gilley@ndl.COM   [Numerical Design Limited]
  919-929-2917 (voice)

tomj@SUN.COM (Tom Jacobs) (10/24/89)

Greg Gilley writes:
> Does anyone know how I can create a shelltool without leaving room for the
> @#$&!&# scrollbars?  I've tried setting OPENWIN_ADJUST_FOR_VERTICAL_SCROLLBAR
> (whew!) to FALSE, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Any clues
> and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>                                         Thanks,
>                                             Greg

The white space (~16 pixels wide) is there because the shelltool is
actually a cmdtool with scrolling disabled.  The white space was
necessary to keep from growing/shrinking the window when the scrollbar
was added back in. If you "pop-up" the floating menu over the shelltool
then select the "Enable Scrolling" menu item, you'll see the scrollbar
appear.  Additionally, if you pop-up the cmdtool's menu you get all the
normal text editing features (find, undo, paste, match) within the
cmdtool and you can also select "File Editor=>Enable" and insert a text
editor in the bottom half of your cmdtool to edit/save/store any files
while contining to make use of the scrolling cmdtool.

Sorry for the "sales pitch", but   If you really hate it and can't make
use of the cmdtool features (or shelltool's "white space"), I'd suggest
checking out xterm.  Sorry.

>   Greg Gilley
>   gilley@ndl.COM   [Numerical Design Limited]
>   919-929-2917 (voice)

	Tom Jacobs   (tomj@sun.com   -or-   ..!sun!tomj)
	Sun Microsystems, Inc.
	Mountain View, California

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (01/11/90)

Is the version of XView distributed with R4 appreciably different from the
alpha version released in September?

-- Richard

--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

mm@vax3.iti.org.iti.org (Michael McFarland) (04/12/90)

Can someone tell me where I can get source and/or
documentation for XView? (My first time peering into
this newsgroup).

All opinions and caveats will be welcomed also.

Thanks.

fetik@sgi.com (Richard Fetik) (04/13/90)

In article <5267@itivax.iti.org> mm@vax3.iti.org.iti.org (Michael McFarland) writes:

>Can someone tell me where I can get source and/or
>documentation for XView? (My first time peering into
>this newsgroup).
>
>All opinions and caveats will be welcomed also.
>
>Thanks.

Hi, Volume 7 from O'Reilly is out now.  This is the XView Programming Manual.

I've used vols 0,1,2,3,4,&5 and I like them.  Vol 7 should be ok also.

O'Reilly & Associates, 1-800-338-6887, in CA 1-800-533-6887

--
	- rich.
fetik@.thor.corp.sgi.com x1748

mreisch@euler.unm.edu (Mique Reisch) (10/23/90)

	Can anyone tell me where to get the newest version of the
Xview source?  The copy that came with our X distrib is version 1.0.1.
If at all possible I'd like to get the Xview independent of a complete
X tree.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\	They're growing mechanical trees,        Mique Reisch              /
/	   they grow to their full height,	  mreisch@euler.unm.edu    \
\	      then chop themselves...down...	   MREISCH@UNMB            /

SIM@CORNELLF.BITNET (Susan Mehringer) (10/25/90)

I recently read an XView announcement (obtained via anonymous ftp
from expo.lcs.mit.edu) that listed ports in progress.  One of the
ports was to "IBM RIOS".  Does anyone have any information on the
status of this port?

thanks-
Susan Mehringer