[net.news.group] "Moderation a failure"

qux@yale.ARPA (El Magnifico Kaufman) (09/07/85)

In article <202@almsa-1> control@almsa-1.UUCP (William Martin) writes:
>In article <3207@nsc.UUCP> chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>
>>Moderation as it currently is set up turned out to be a rather unqualified
>>failure.   ...
>>I just don't think there is a way to graft moderation onto the USENET
>>setup, unless you are willing to redefine USENET.
>>
>While I hesitate to challenge an expert in this, let me mention that
>mod.rec.guns is working just fine, and I would call it a success.

Might it be that the reason most moderated groups failed was that there
existed parallel unmoderated groups?  Posting to a moderated group is
(or at least can be) somewhat of a hassle, and doesn't have the instant
gratification of posting to an unmoderated group and then immediately
reading one's own message.

Of course, eliminating net.singles in favor of mod.singles (or whatever)
would have caused even more uproar than just creating mod.singles did.
Is leaving the unmoderated groups around what you meant by not "redefining
USENET," Chuq?

Qux

Kaufman-David@Yale-Comix.Arpa	Kaufman@YaleCS.Bitnet	..!decvax!yale!kaufman

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/12/85)

>>>Moderation as it currently is set up turned out to be a rather unqualified
>>>failure.   ...
>>>I just don't think there is a way to graft moderation onto the USENET
>>>setup, unless you are willing to redefine USENET.
>>>
>>While I hesitate to challenge an expert in this, let me mention that
>>mod.rec.guns is working just fine, and I would call it a success.
>
>Might it be that the reason most moderated groups failed was that there
>existed parallel unmoderated groups?

I don't follow mod.rec.guns, so I can't say for certainty, but the only
places where I've seen any kind of success for moderated groups are groups
that have no unmoderated counterpart -- things like mod.map, net.announce,
stuff that essentially has to be moderated or has always been moderated. I
don't see how you can move from unmoderated to moderated in the existing
environment (a good argument against mod.bizarre -- the track record shows
it won't work...)

>Is leaving the unmoderated groups around what you meant by not "redefining
>USENET," Chuq?

The unmoderated groups (and the anarchy thereof) are the heart and soul of
USENET. Anything that mucks with that mucks with USENET. I think it is
really better to consider mod.all as a separate subnet rather than a
different part of USENET -- the same has been true for fa.all for a long
time, the only difference is that fa.all is ARPA based and mod.all is .UUCP
based. fa.all and mod.all simply aren't USENET, they just happen to use the
same transmission media.

There are probably a good number of groups that would be well served to
move into a moderated environment. These are likely the groups that would
also be most useful on stargate or some similar form of network
transmission (net.unix-wizards is top on that list, so is net.lang.c).
There are just as many groups that would probably wither and die under
moderation.

We might want to consider a two pronged approach. First, find out which
groups ought to be moderated and move them there (removing the unmoderated
group in its wake -- I don't think there is any way for both to survive).

Second, find ways to help readers parse the junk out of the groups that
aren't moderated. I'm playing with this now, but I'm not ready to talk
about it beyond saying that I'm taking the user interface to the bare
ground (and possibly beyond) and trying to build it back again. I may find
something that works, it may fail miserably. Either way, I'm not sure it'll
be USENET anymore. It'll hopefully have the advantages of USENET without
many of the problems.
--
Chuq Von Rospach nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA {decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui

An uninformed opinion is no opinion at all. If you dont know what you're
talking about, please try to do it quietly.

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (09/15/85)

>the only places where I've seen any kind of success for moderated
>groups are groups that have no unmoderated counterpart -- things like
>mod.map, net.announce, stuff that essentially has to be moderated or
>has always been moderated.

net.announce has net.general as an unmoderated counterpart which failed
its original charter (announcements and queries that were important enough
for the whole net to read.)  mod.sources still has net.sources as an
unmoderated counterpart, and I consider mod.sources successful.  Also,
mod.map was originally net.news.map, although that group was effectively
moderated also.  mod.unix has net.unix-wizards as a counterpart.
It can be done - there are lots of success stories.

>The unmoderated groups (and the anarchy thereof) are the heart and soul of
>USENET. Anything that mucks with that mucks with USENET. I think it is
>really better to consider mod.all as a separate subnet rather than a
>different part of USENET -- the same has been true for fa.all for a long
>time, the only difference is that fa.all is ARPA based and mod.all is .UUCP
>based. fa.all and mod.all simply aren't USENET, they just happen to use the
>same transmission media.

It's true that mod has a different character than the original Usenet.
Let's recall what that original character was.  It consisted entirely
of technical discussions, announcements, and queries.  Lately the net
has been snowed under by nontechnical newsgroups which are busting the
disks, CPU's, phone bills, and reading time of large numbers of people.
This is not "Usenet" either, it's "Talk Net".

Perhaps it's time to move those nontechnical discussions to another
distribution group or groups as well.

	Mark Horton