[comp.windows.x] OW 2.0, Fonts, and xtex

hook@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Chris Hook) (10/24/90)

My problem: When I'm in openwin (2.0), niether I nor any of my users
can properly read the fonts for xtex. (paths are all set using xset +fp)
Now, if one starts up X11R4, then all fonts are found, and there is no problem.
Is there something peculiar to xtex that I need to be aware of?

Thanks,
Chris Hook
hook@geog.ubc.ca

stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) (10/25/90)

In article <10200@ubc-cs.UUCP>, hook@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Chris Hook) writes:

|> My problem: When I'm in openwin (2.0), niether I nor any of my users
|> can properly read the fonts for xtex. (paths are all set using xset +fp)
|> Now, if one starts up X11R4, then all fonts are found, and there is no problem.
|> Is there something peculiar to xtex that I need to be aware of?

Xnews uses a different font format, so you have to recompile all your TeX
fonts dpecifically for xnews.  Assuming you have the collection of bdf.Z files from foobar.colorado.edu, you can run the following script to do the job:

#!/bin/sh
tmp=/tmp/temp.bdf
for font in *bdf.Z ;
do
  base=`echo $font | sed -e 's/\.bdf\.Z//'`
  zcat $font >$tmp
  convertfont -d . -o $base $tmp
done
bldfamily -f 128 -d .

Then copy all the *.ff, *.fb and *.list files into some font directory
and make it accessible to the  xnews server (using xset fp+).

Be warned however: Since Xnews doesn't seem to handle compressed font files,
the whole collection uses about 7MB of disk space.  Also, bldfamily
doesn't recognize same fonts at different resolutions and styles as belonging to one font family and creates .ff files for every single .fb file.
Anybody have a fix for that?

--
Andreas Stolcke
International Computer Science Institute	stolcke@icsi.Berkeley.EDU

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct24.182743.8378@agate.berkeley.edu> stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU (Andreas Stolcke) writes:

>Be warned however: Since Xnews doesn't seem to handle compressed font files,
>the whole collection uses about 7MB of disk space.  Also, bldfamily
>doesn't recognize same fonts at different resolutions and styles as belonging to one font family and creates .ff files for every single .fb file.
>Anybody have a fix for that?

Yes, and it is really quite simple, but it makes using a shell script to
automate it rather difficult.  Just use the '-n fontname' option to
convertfont to give the *same* name to each member of a single font family.
This will indicate to bldfont that they belong together.
[Without the -n option convertfont uses the file name as the font name, and
thus includes the point size in the font name, making them seperate families]

The problem is in getting a shell script to recognize a set of files as
comprising a font family and apply the same name to them all.  (Also,
how do you get the script to determine the correct name).

Bye.
Good luck.
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)