[comp.windows.x] Colour xterm problems.

rbk@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Kirby) (10/19/90)

I am having some problems with the recent comp.sources.x colour xterm posting.

On starting up X, my .xinitrc file spawns off three xterms. Two usually start
up ok, but the third hangs. The window comes up, but the shell isnt running.
The xterm is sitting on a select inside VTparse.

The same thing happens when I try to run the xterm from another one. This time
though I get the message

Read error -- errno = 5
reset the terminal process group from xxxx to yyyy

where xxxx is the PID of the csh (actually tcsh), and yyyy is the PID of the
csh that I ran the xterm command from.

FYI - The machine is a SPARCstation 1, with SunOS4.0.3, and X11R4 with patches
1-11, and I have not had this problem with the old xterm.

Any help/patches would be gratefully received.

			Richard.

tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein) (10/20/90)

In article <3579@skye.ed.ac.uk>, rbk@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Kirby) writes:

> I am having some problems with the recent comp.sources.x colour xterm posting.

> On starting up X, my .xinitrc file spawns off three xterms. Two usually start
> up ok, but the third hangs. The window comes up, but the shell isnt running.
> The xterm is sitting on a select inside VTparse.

> The same thing happens when I try to run the xterm from another one. This time
> though I get the message

> Read error -- errno = 5
> reset the terminal process group from xxxx to yyyy

> where xxxx is the PID of the csh (actually tcsh), and yyyy is the PID of the
> csh that I ran the xterm command from.

> FYI - The machine is a SPARCstation 1, with SunOS4.0.3, and X11R4 with patches
> 1-11, and I have not had this problem with the old xterm.

> Any help/patches would be gratefully received.

> 			Richard.

As soon as I get some free time I'm going to take a look at fixing this.
For now, you should recompile the color xterm with the main.c from the
R4 xterm.

--
Open Look -- Freedom     | Tom Weinstein   tom@bears.ucsb.edu
             from Choice |                 tweinst@polyslo.calpoly.edu

mayer@gmdzi.gmd.de (Hans Mayer) (10/26/90)

>> On starting up X, my .xinitrc file spawns off three xterms. Two usually start
>> up ok, but the third hangs. The window comes up, but the shell isnt running.

I was playing with the recently posted acm. After exiting the daemon (acms)
was still running in the background. When I tried to start a xterm the same
situation occured. So it's not necessarily a bug in color xterm. Maybe some
process is hanging around that has this particular pty partially open?
I didn't research the situation deeper because killing acms solved it in my
case.

- Hans

--
Hans J. Mayer, mayer@gmdzi.gmd.de (or mayer@ddagmd11.BITNET)
 German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)